Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 "Idiots" Guide

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

I prefer to use hard copy for self education and this applies with getting up to speed with W7.  There must be thousands + of users who having built up a level of proficiency over the years with XP, now need not a basic idiot's guide, nor a 600-page "Mastering W7" blockbuster, but a simple intermediate "bridge" to take them over what they cannot do with pure XP-bred intuition alone to get to a reasonable level of proficiency with W7.  Does such a book exist?  If not then there's a fortune waiting for someone to write it - like quick.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

The Windows 7 interface is very similar to XP. Adapting shouldn't be a problem for most users.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Try this: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/download-the-ultimate-windows-7-guide

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Like these?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=windows+for+dummies+7&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=19933860197&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6825896685955572020&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_atcfczxpe_b

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

Glad to see some help, I have had 7 for nearly two years ans still stumble a bit remembering where "I found what LAST" RLOL

Edited by OldPhil, 14 April 2014 - 06:25 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Tks for the tips.  I think what I am looking for is something between the two - extensive enough to serve as a source of reference for things that are different from XP, but not so huge that you have to wade through tons of Dummies stuff to get at what you want to know!  Is this asking too much?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sounds like you want the CliffsNotes version to Crime & Punishment :).

IMO, there 's no shortcut to learning that can be encompassed in CliffsNotes style.

Louis

#8 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

That would do me (and countless other XP escapees) very nicely thank you.  I'll google or search for it on somewhere like Bleeping Computer

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7/

Some of the tutorials may help you.

#10 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

The ideal intermediate guide would contain for reference answers to for example whether it is possible to tweak the W7 Windows Explorer / [My] Computer displays back to the "logical" XP ones**, or not - without going off into realms that would only be of interest to the program developers community.

[** Is it??]

#11 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

In XP I had an icon in my Quickstart bar that brought up the Desktop directly (very useful) but W7 won't let me do this.  Again the ideal Dummies Guide would tell me the secret!

#12 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

In XP I had an icon in my Quickstart bar that brought up the Desktop directly (very useful) but W7 won't let me do this.  Again the ideal Dummies Guide would tell me the secret!

Windows has a useful shortcut key sequence that will take you to a "desktop active" state:

<win> d

I use that all the time, one of my favorite shortcut key paths.  If you're interested in a hotkey freeware script tool, I use AutoHotkey with Win 7.  I used that to map my right-hand <win> key as <win>d  .  You can remap almost any keystroke as well as create macros with this freeware tool.  I use the right-hand <alt> key as a "refresh" key, same thing as <ctrl>r or the F5 key.

I recall when I transitioned from XP to 7 back in 2010.  I was hesitant at the time but haven't looked back from the upgrade.  I really like the general "search" modes that Win 7 has available in the Control Panel and elsewhere.

It's faster for me to access things like Device Manager, Power Management, Security Center, etc.

Win 7 (and Vista) added a useful registry keyword that allows the user to change the "unattended sleep timeout" (default timeout is 120 seconds) parameter.  XP didn't have this option available.  This is a registry keyword that enables the user to run unattended (overnight for many users) AV scans or other tasks while the PC is idle.  It will prevent the PC from returning to sleep mode after 120 seconds of unattended activity, thus allowing AV scans or other tasks to complete.

The main part that I had to get used to from XP to 7 was the "library" setups with "My Documents" and elsewhere.  It's different but after a few weeks, I got used to the new look.

Edited by Scoop8, 18 April 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#13 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Your hot tip works a dream!  Let me know when you have finished writing the missing intermediate Dummies Guide, and the cost ...

I'm sure that menu familiarity breeds competence just like some time after the supermarkets rearrange the goodies on the shelves and the shoppers gradually readjust.  On the other hand I feel that many mods (the ribbons in MS Office) are introduced just to justify a new version regardless of functionality, and that you get the best of both worlds by having the option to revert back to the "Classic Menu" if desired.

I regard making registry changes myself with great unease.  Earlier today I was fiddling about with the W7 Power Management settings.  Again they have made these more complex than XP and a further visit or two to the screen will be necessary ...

#14 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Magic Sam

You're welcome :)

I'd write a Guide if I was qualified :lol:  I'm definitely not.

Here's another registry change that you might find useful.  It will revert the Win 7 & Vista alt-tab order back to Win XP behavior.  As a shortcut key geek :), this one really saves me time.

Background info:

With the release of Vista, Windows changed the way that alt-tab behaves, making it more random.  To change it back to XP order, do the following:

In the Registry Editor, navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>> Software>> Microsoft>> Windows>> CurrentVersion>> Explorer

In the Explorer folder ("subkey"), create a new DWORD value, named "AltTabSettings".

(Right-click>> New>> DWORD (32-bit) Value)

Double-click the newly created DWORD value, change it's value to "1" instead of "0", and choose "Hexadecimal".
Press OK.

That's it.  Now the classic Alt-Tab order is restored.  I like it for another reason.  It also removes the "Desktop" icon choice within the alt-tab order icon lists.  SInce I'm using a hotkey to go to "Desktop Active" state, I don't want an additional Desktop icon included in the alt-tab order select list.

Regarding Registry edits, I agree.  I'm cautious as well but I also am a "cloner/imager" PC user so I always have a full-HDD backup or cloned HDD tested and on the shelf in the event of a registry edit mistake (or other reasons, such as HDD failure or malicious infections).

I've only changed a few things in my Registry up to now, including the "sleep timeout" keyword and the alt-tab order addition.

Both of those changes are important to me in my everyday PC use since I don't use the mouse much and I run all of my AV & MBAM scans unattended overnight.

Registry edits can be useful but as you mentioned, it requires caution and always respecting the environment.  I look at it the same way as when I used to work with high voltage equipment and changing dangerous gas cylinders (such as Arsenic gases).  It's actually safer than driving in traffic in my area as long as one follows safety procedures and is alert during the work performances.

Power Management, I agree, with Win 7, it's more complex but the good part to me is that it's also more flexible and easier to access.  I like the option to make changes to several parameters within the "advanced" window in Power Management.

I agree with you about the MS Office "ribbons".  I played with Office 2013 a little and am not interested in upgrading for the foreseeable future.

Some people will like changes from XP to Win 7.  Others differ.  For example, my opinion is that Win 7 is working out to be the best desktop OS that I've experienced and have no plans to upgrade to W8[.1] for a considerable time.

#15 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'll ponder that.  I think the difference is that 1. I don't play around with arsenic gases and high voltages in my spare time, and 2. tend to be a risk-averse registry-phobic mouse-phile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users