Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vanishing bookmarks XP > W7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

I am trying without much success to transfer the Chrome bookmarks I used in XP to W7 on my dual boot PC, having just got around to making the switch.  Using the standard import tool within W7 Chrome Settings has not done the job.  I therefore found the file where Chrome stores the bookmarks in my XP folders and copied it via a flash drive to my W7 desktop.  But the import HTML file facility within W7 Chrome settings won't recognize or see it.  What is the secret?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

In Windows XP, in Chrome, click the Menu button > Bookmarks > Bookmark manager > Organize > Export bookmarks to HTML file..., save it to your USB key, then Safely remove your USB key from your Windows XP computer.

Insert the USB key in your Windows 7 computer, open Chrome, click the Menu button > Bookmarks > Import bookmarks and settings..., select "Bookmarks HTML File" in the pulldown, click Choose File, browse to and then click on the HTML file you just saved to your USB key, click the Open button, then click Done.

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Your para 2 is more or less what I did, except that I used the Desktop as an "interface".  But when I "browsed to" it couldn't see it on my desktop.

Your para 1 I did the hard way by finding the bookmarks file and copying it to my USB and then to the desktop.  It may be that doing this has made it "invisible".  Will try your way later ..

It's one XP / W7 dual boot PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users