Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing XP-SP3 after ZeroAccess infection cleaning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

Here is my current configuration:

Laptop Dell D630 + XP-SP3 + 4 GB RAM

1. Current problem

My computer “was” infected by a ZeroAccess malware, and with the great help of Jeff it seems that it looks fine:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530247/zeroaccess-infection/

However, my computer is not working as it used to be before the infection.

2. FRST reported these errors below

After the cleaning process, there are several remaining errors detected by FRST:

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST data, not permitted/used in this forum - Hamluis.

3. Related to point 2., there XP has several bad behaviours

- The computer does not switch off by itself when I ask for a shut down or restart; instead, it gets with an empty desktop for hours if I leave it to do so.

- Windows Explorer crashes if I delete a file or manipulate files very frequently; but sometimes it does what I want to do.

- When I start a programme it takes several minutes before it is actually launch; even for notepad!

Overall, the computer is better after the infection thanks to the great help of Jeff, but it is not something that I can use to do any proper work with. My main preoccupation is more to have a working computer than a “virus free” computer (I do not think this possible Snowden revelations). Unfortunately, there some programs installed that I do not have and cannot have anymore the installation licence. Therefore, I need to keep the installation as it is, otherwise I would have long time ago reformat and re-install everything: this is something I have done several times in the past already when I had infections.

4. Repairing strategy

I have my Windows XP-SP3 disk. I am thinking instead of re-installing everything to ask XP for a repair with the goal to keep the current installation. To do so, I am thinking taking these steps:

4.1. Uninstall Internet Explorer 8

In a Microsoft support page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964), it is recommended to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 first currently installed I my computer, as the repair would copy Internet Explorer version 6 files that are not compatible.

4.2. To perform a “Repair installation”

I would use my Windows XP CD.

Would this copy all missing XP system files and most importantly set all services and registry missing entries to their original status and values?

4.3. To check that Internet Explorer 7 (provided with SP3) is working

As suggest by the support page mentioned above.

4.4. To install Internet Explorer 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie

4.5. To update XP with the latest patches

4.6. Create a new fresh ghost with Acronis

4.7. Repair malfunctioning programs

5. My main questions

5.1. How to solve the problems found by FRST?

5.2. How to check for others problems (I have used already jv16 to check and fix the registry and installed program list)

5.3. Is my repairing strategy the right one?

In which order you would recommend to solve these issues.

Many thanks again for your help on this.

Edited by hamluis, 14 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

You do know microsoft has stopped updating XP and their are no more patches coming out for it.

#3 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Yes, I know about this. It is estimated that 30% of computers are still running XP...and mine is one of them! At this stage, I prefer not to upgrade to W7 since this computer has to stay as it is.

Interestingly, there're still computers running Windows 3.1!

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

but you don't think over time your computer will get infected and can't be fixed?

#5 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

All computers are infected: this is what all of us have understood from Snowden revelations. Computers, from the hardware to the software, are designed with hundreds of backdoors and others ways to spy on us. Therefore, we now all have learnt that this is something we need to live with.

For a long time I read that a new computer connected in the internet wwill be infected within 4 minutes; actually, it comes already infected!

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Good luck with XP if that's what you think.

#7 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I do not think so, I do not have simply the choice!

My prefeernce would have been an OS not designed to spy on all of us, but something that guaranties our privacy: this is a human decision not an accident or infortune! But, we are now moving to a different matter.

Currently, i need my XP computer to run and be productive.

Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

The suggestion was made by your Helper in the MRL forum...to do a clean install.

That would also be my suggestion...anything else is just wasting time and hoping for a result that will not come.

Louis

#9 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hi Louis,

I know that this is the best solution; however, as I mentioned it I cannot simply reformat and reinstall everything. So, is there a kind of solution that would not be perfect, but still offer a better functioning computer?

thanks for any help on this.

J.

#10 jc.delvaux

jc.delvaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Actually, with the help of Jeff, I have ben able I think to neutralise in somehow the ZeroAccess infection (cf. my first message on top of this page). But this as left me with an XP not functioning properly. Since as I have mentioned I cannot reformat and reinstall everything, I am trying to find a way now to repair XP and bring it to a level of good functionning even so not perfect.

Cheers,

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2014 - 11:42 AM.
Minor edit - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users