Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Avalonjxn2

Avalonjxn2

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

I am currently running Windows XP.  I know I need to upgrade but not sure I want to go to 8.1.  What is the consensus? 

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Traci

Edited by Avalonjxn2, 14 April 2014 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

I've been using Windows 8 since its release and just recently did the update.  I've used it with and without a start menu replacement on my home-built desktop (I like Start8, it's worth the five bucks).  I haven't had any compatibility problems with either hardware or software and I think it's a very stable and secure OS.  Speaking of hardware, that would be my biggest concern for somebody moving up from XP.  Have you checked your system for compatibility?

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#3 Avalonjxn2

Avalonjxn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

I haven't checked it yet but have downloaded the compatibility checker... maybe I'll have to get a new computer... ;-)

#4 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

I haven't checked it yet but have downloaded the compatibility checker... maybe I'll have to get a new computer... ;-)

That's where the good news is the same as the bad news LOL.

What are the specs on you current rig?

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#5 Avalonjxn2

Avalonjxn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3  - Dell Optiplex 380 E7500 @2.93 GHz, 1.96 GB of Ram

This system really works fine for what I do... I don't play games or FB or any of that.  Just the general Office Professional Stuff... I don't really need any super graphics or sound. I do have a Lotus Approach Data Base I use but nothing special.  I was thinking of going to 7.  The compatibility checker showed several things that were not compatible.  I don't know if any of them were deal breakers though.

Traci

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3  - Dell Optiplex 380 E7500 @2.93 GHz, 1.96 GB of Ram

This system really works fine for what I do... I don't play games or FB or any of that.  Just the general Office Professional Stuff... I don't really need any super graphics or sound. I do have a Lotus Approach Data Base I use but nothing special.  I was thinking of going to 7.  The compatibility checker showed several things that were not compatible.  I don't know if any of them were deal breakers though.

Traci

Win7 is a solid OS and will be supported until 2020; we're running it on two of our PCs at home.  Your system will run the 32-bit version on 2GB of RAM but I recommend disabling Aero, your system will be much more responsive.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Windows 7 should run good on that PC. Checked around, seen a few of that model with 4GB RAM on eBay.

A RAM upgrade would make Windows 7 run much better. According to this page, it also supports 64 bit OS's. Which would allow the OS to access all 4GB (minus any needed for onboard graphics).

http://ark.intel.com/products/36503/intel-core2-duo-processor-e7500-3m-cache-2_93-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb

If you live in the US, Newegg frequently runs promos on Windows 7 Home Premium & Pro, but to use discount codes, one needs to be on their subscription list. Also, to make a 30 day 100% free test run, you can download & install either version from Digital River (the official source). No license key needed for 30 days. Vista drivers should work if needed.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

I have 2.2 GHz single-core AMD CPU and 2GB RAM and I am running Windows 8 64-bit on it without any problems.

Although it is not very fast and smooth, it is good for editing, printing stuff and internet browsing.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

I have 2.2 GHz single-core AMD CPU and 2GB RAM and I am running Windows 8 64-bit on it without any problems.

Although it is not very fast and smooth, it is good for editing, printing stuff and internet browsing.

As long as it does what you want, that's fine! Everyone's needs are different & many who has high powered CPU's uses a fraction of the power at hand.

Windows 8 has even better power management than Windows 7 does. And chances are, that AMD 2.2GHz is better than my AMD 1.5GHz dual core was. Because I wasn't doing much multitasking on the machine. the benefit of dual core didn't assist me. I did end up, after 3 years, upgrading to a 2.4GHz dual core, but the MB went bad in a few months. This was on a PC upgraded to Windows 8.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users