Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Live Movie Maker vs Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JayDPiii

JayDPiii

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

On my laptop, Windows 7, I have Windows Live Movie Maker, looks like 2011. 

Cane pre-installed on the laptop.  On my Desktop, I recently installed (Was XP) Windows 7 Home Premium.  It does not have Windows Live Movie Maker.  

When I go to download Windows Live Movie Maker, I get a Windows Essentials file.

I ran it, and I installed Windows Movie Maker 2012.

However, when I open a project that I created on my laptop with Windows LIVE MM, the WMV files are unreadable in the Windows MM 2012 on my desktop? 

Can any one explain or help, please? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

OKay, a little research.  
First, I updated the laptop to 2012 version of Movie Maker, looks same, and looks like they just dropped "Live" from the name. 

2.)  It appears that the files in a project are only referenced and not imported, even though I clipped some WMV files. But the edits to the files must be retained in the Project file. 

Because the laptop has the files in:  C:\Users\JdP\Dropbox 

And my Desktop has the files in:  C:Users\John\My Documents\Dropbox  

And when I 
"Fix" files on my desktop after opening the project, 

then they become broken if I open the project on my laptop.

So, that leads me to the conclusion that the project file does not actually import the WMV, Audio, and Picture files. 

Which would be a real pain IF a file got deleted by accident. 

And does NOT make the Movie Maker Project file independent or self-contained. 

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

"And does NOT make the Movie Maker Project file independent or self-contained." 

That's quite normal, in video editing programs, but this from Microsoft:

"A project holds information about the arrangement and timing of the items that appear on the storyboard/timeline, which include audio and video clips, video transitions, video effects, and titles. It does not contain the actual audio, video, and picture source files, but rather references them as clips."

Also: "You can open Windows Movie Maker project files that have been created and saved in either previous versions or in the current version of Windows Movie Maker. However, after you open and then save the project file in the current version of Windows Movie Maker, the project cannot be opened in previous versions of Windows Movie Maker."

Thus the project file should be OK for you on both desktop and laptop, as you now have the same 2012 version on both computers, but only if the files are identical and the paths to the files in the project file are identical and the name of the destination folder must be the same, otherwise the project file is looking in the wrong place. At the moment, the destination is different as between your desktop and laptop. Hope that all makes sense.

I only have WLMM 2011, I am assuming the versions work just about the same.

The project file for me is saved with a .wimp extension. It can be opened in notepad and will display the filepaths, so you can see what I am getting at.

#4 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Yes, thx.  FYI:  I am sure there might be other differences, however, I noticed that in 2012 one can record narration directly in MM. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users