Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these specs good enough for these tasks.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZashieYo

ZashieYo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Okay i'm going to buy my friend a new PC for her 3d work, she's grown tired of her old Phenom X4 960T getting choked up by her tasks so i'm into the market to find something more powerful for her needs, so i thought this.

CPU: AMD FX 8320

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1066 (from her old system) maybe add another 8 to make it 16GB.

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7870

HDD: 1TB

Her demands are likely to be doing this at once.

Livestreaming: Mobile to normal to high quality.

Gaming (Doesn't play that intensive games, but still games that combined with streaming do knock her phenom out)

3D Modeling and Rendering in blender with other programs like Maya and all.

other day to day programs like your firefox's and itunes and all.

i can't go any higher into the i7 ranges and all and i heard the newer FX 8XXX's are really good CPU's for the tasks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Personally I only have a quad core AMD processor and I livestream while playing minecraft and run itunes. I have 16G of ram - but 8 is fine.

This should be a fine setup if you can't afford and i7. I'm slowly building a "beast" PC and I just dropped $300 on one of those bad boys myself.

What can I say - the rendering speed for my youtube vids had me drooling. I'm a sucker, I know.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

You should be fine with all those tasks, however... Blender is a pain.

If you're rendering a large creation in Blender on an i7 it can take hours. So this is probably the only one you'll struggle with :)

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

Hi, the specs looks great as the FX8320 can handle live streaming game sessions as well it can tackle head on with 3D Modeling and rendering with Blender, Maya etc. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

Here is my own personal thought on the topic, as an avid AMD user for the last 10 years.

Go Intel.

Any Haswell i5 will be faster than the 8320. You don't have to get into the i7's at all.

On top of this, you will use roughly 1/2 the electricity to do that work. I have used every generation of AMD chips since the Ahtlon XP (including the Phenom and the FX line), and found quite consistently that AMD doesn't multitask well. It handles multithreaded applications well enough, but in true multitasking, it chokes. All of them do. This has been tested across multiple boards from the 760 to the 990FX. The issue you are facing with the 960 is nothing new to me. Yet even my Intel i5 760 can handle those tasks without problems. It may not render quickly, but it will better balance the workload. If you want a smooth running multi-tasker, go Intel.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#6 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

I have a more unusual Intel choice which i put the FX 8320 against,  The Xeon X5650, how would the X5650 go against the 8320 on that? and against per say, a 3570 (non k) i5.or even a 2500/2500k/2550k

I know the xeons apparently are good number crunchers, and the Xeon does come with 6 cores, and it's on the older but still high end LGA 1366 platform, (so if needs be i could someday buy my friend a bleepton of ram :D) and usually are the choice for workstation PCs i notice, even over opterons.

Also the Xeon has HT, 6 core 12 thread.

Edited by ZashieYo, 05 May 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#7 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have a more unusual Intel choice which i put the FX 8320 against,  The Xeon X5650, how would the X5650 go against the 8320 on that? and against per say, a 3570 (non k) i5.or even a 2500/2500k/2550k

I know the xeons apparently are good number crunchers, and the Xeon does come with 6 cores, and it's on the older but still high end LGA 1366 platform, (so if needs be i could someday buy my friend a bleepton of ram :D) and usually are the choice for workstation PCs i notice, even over opterons.

Also the Xeon has HT, 6 core 12 thread.

You're actually considering a Gulftown based Xeon? That's 2010 tech man. Ridiculous. Go with the 8320 or 8350 and get at LEAST an ASUS M5A99FX board. Don't go any cheaper. That's a very good board and I strongly recommend it. Pair it with an H100i cooler so you can OC the FX cpu to 4.4/4.5Ghz and get some extra juice out of it. You should also look into an Nvidia card for the CUDA capabilities that some of her programs can take advantage of.

Also, the previous post about AMD not multitasking well is false. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users