Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bluekaiser

Bluekaiser

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

hiya all, I installed windows on my 200gb harddrive which I split into two partitions which both have letter names. The first partition was only for installing programs and for windows and the second was purely for my data. The Disk Management program in windows state that there both basic type but only the first partition is system. My question is am I able to delete only the first partition and reinstall windows while keeping my data partition intact or do I have to reformat the whole drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

You can reformat the first partition (probably C) and reinstall Windows on it.

#3 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

You can just boot off of you XP disk and delete and create just 1 partition and leave the other intact
JU$T1N~1

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

Windows sees the two partitions as different physical drives; you can reformat the first partition without harming the data on the second.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Bluekaiser

Bluekaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

all I see it makes sense. thanks y'all for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users