Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi can't obtain IP address

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 wuzzo

wuzzo

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hello,

I've got five home machines on WiFi but one , an XP machine, is refusing to make its WiFi connection.  Windows says that hardware is OK , the network is detected but an IP address is missing.   How can I rectify this ?   The other machines still connect OK.

Lend me your ears

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

try... from the command line

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

(enter after each).....

Just might be a quick easy fix.

#3 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Windows states - no such command line

' ipconfig ' results in a fleeting -  blank- command prompt screen

Edited by wuzzo, 14 April 2014 - 07:50 AM.

Lend me your ears

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Have you tried connecting in safe mode with networking? Have you recently installed any anti-virus? I have seen mccafee, norton, trend micro, zone alarm, and others cause this exact problem, you could try uninstalling those first, make sure you can re-install them before removing.

You can check the adapter settings, compare yours to the ones on this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

In the first picture (the networking pane) sometimes anti-virus software or virus's will install filters there. Double check the ipv4 in the second picture to automatically assign an ip (if you do not use static ip).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm getting-   ' Wireless networks detected. ' Right click for list '  but right -clicking produces -  ' No wireless networks found '. 

I haven't installed any av, firewall or any new software at all.   My settings are already on ' Obtain IP automatically '

Edited by wuzzo, 14 April 2014 - 08:16 AM.

Lend me your ears

#6 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

I intend to agree with the first answer in this link, suspect the path is missing in Environmental Variables (System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Environmental Variables).

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Windows states - no such command line

' ipconfig ' results in a fleeting -  blank- command prompt screen

That's a first for me...

i-am-monitoring-this-thread.jpg

#8 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Unfortunately I can't employ it.   No stable command-prompt screen.

When I use my WiFi adapter's software it's showing an ' excellent ' WiFi signal.   The PC won't connect though.

Lend me your ears

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Try uninstalling from device manager DO NOT delete the driver when prompted, just right click on the wifi device under network adapters, uninstall, then restart. It will reinstall the driver automatically after restarting (it may ask you to restart again after it reinstalls), then try to connect again, you will need to know your wifi password to reconnect so make sure you know that first before uninstalling, it will clear your known wireless networks.

Edited by zingo156, 14 April 2014 - 09:25 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Try uninstalling from device manager DO NOT delete the driver when prompted, just right click on the wifi device under network adapters, uninstall, then restart. It will reinstall the driver automatically after restarting (it may ask you to restart again after it reinstalls), then try to connect again, you will need to know your wifi password to reconnect so make sure you know that first before uninstalling, it will clear your known wireless networks.

I've done that previously but I did it again for luck.  Same problem.

Windows detects the adapter, installs its drivers, tells me it is working but won't connect.    Pop-up states WiFi networks within range, right-click to choose.....Windows states no networks available.

The ' Cannot obtain IP address ' message no longer appears, just the ' networks unavailable ' message.

I'll reset my hub and see what happens.

Edited by wuzzo, 14 April 2014 - 09:31 AM.

Lend me your ears

#11 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Ah, a clue-       unbeknowns to me my wife installed XP Service Pack 3 and then uninstalled it.   The lack of connection dates from then.

Lend me your ears

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Makes sense, you could try a restore point. That or download the driver again and then re-install.

#13 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

as 't the problemMakes sense, you could try a restore point. That or download the driver again and then re-install.

Tried that-  no earlier restore point works.

I got ' ipconfig/release' to run as a cmd but it says that ' No operation can be performed on wireless connection while it has its media disconnected '    ?????????????????   What's THAT about ?

I've reinstalled the adapter driver several times from CD. so that isn't the problem.  The adapter is ' seen' and reported as working.   It's an ' excellent ' strength link according to its software.

Edited by wuzzo, 14 April 2014 - 10:37 AM.

Lend me your ears

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

Is there a seperate utility to connect to wireless networks? Sometimes cards have their own software you need to use to connect.

If you can, I would recommend re-installing service pack 3. Without service pack 3 certain wireless security protocols may not work in XP such as WPA2, or WPA. Do you know what type of security is being used on the router?

Edited by zingo156, 14 April 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#15 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

It's WPA and WPA2.    My wife said that she unistalled SP3 because it caused her connection to fail.  I can't see that reinstalling it would achieve anything.

I could change the security setting and see if it connects , maybe ? 

Edited by wuzzo, 14 April 2014 - 11:00 AM.

Lend me your ears

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users