Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between malware protection and virus protection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

I am a bit unsure of difference between malware protection and anti-virus protection. I have Norton nis which is great for stopping Trojans. I have a company that works on my computer if I have a problem. They wanted me to put in a anti malware program. I have been having problems with computer lately, so I let them do this, could this cause a problem, because I know that you are not supposed to run 2 anti-virus programs?

Anyone?

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. In simplistic terms, an anti-virus program will focus on viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots while anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on spyware, adware and PUPS (potentially unwanted programs)?. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Some vendors also add a modifier or additional information after the name that further describes what type of malware it is.To fully understand the difference between Anti-virus and Anti-spyware (anti-malware) programs, you need to understand the difference between the various types of malware. Please read the Glossary of Malware Related Terms.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hola quietman7 and welcome to the work week.

Just a generic heads up, of the four bullet points / links you posted, the 1st and the 3rd both came up with the 404 Not Found or the 410 Gone notice.

Thought you'd like to know.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

I am a bit unsure of difference between malware protection and anti-virus protection. I have Norton nis which is great for stopping Trojans. I have a company that works on my computer if I have a problem. They wanted me to put in a anti malware program. I have been having problems with computer lately, so I let them do this, could this cause a problem, because I know that you are not supposed to run 2 anti-virus programs?

Anyone?

Hi,

I'm also a Norton AV (N360) user and have been running MBAM Pro (now renamed "Premium") for about 16 months with no conflict issues and no incidences of malicious intrusions encountered.

Among some circles, this is a hot-button topic as to whether it's recommended to run Norton AV products simultaneously with the MBAM paid version (realtime) tool.

I've tried to discuss this topic at the Norton forum but there are certain longtime members there that persist in recommending against using the Pro/Premium version due to, their claim, increased potential of malicious infections because the 2 products can conflict when detecting an unwanted intrusion, thus permitting penetration past the products' defenses.

The problem that I see with this stance is that I've specifically asked, along with the MBAM forum Admin (an MBAM staff member), for data to substantiate this stance.

To date, there's been no evidence offered, by way of Norton customer testimonials, or lab test data provided by Symantec staff members, that supports this stance.

I've waited for about 18 months at the Norton forum for a Symantec employee to provide a post for its members that would confirm what's repeated daily by a handful of members.  That hasn't occurred as yet.

I'm not certain but it appears that a substantial percentage of the reason for this point of view is based on the valid recommendation that PC users shouldn't be using 2 AV realtime products simultaneously. 

The flaw with this assumption regarding Norton and MBAM, is that MBAM is not an AV product.  It's a product that is designed specifically to run in realtime mode as a supplement to a mainline AV product.  The scanner engine operates in a different manner than mainline AV products. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

...ust a generic heads up, of the four bullet points / links you posted, the 1st and the 3rd both came up with the 404 Not Found or the 410 Gone notice....

Thanks for letting me know. Appears those two articles were removed so I have replaced them with two others.

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

@quietman7 - you're welcome.

@guit30 - Scoop8 makes a bunch of great points - and please know that this is indeed a hot topic right now, esp. with MBAM's latest roll out - but probably the one I would urge you to look into is his statement:

I'm not certain but it appears that a substantial percentage of the reason for this point of view is based on the valid recommendation that PC users shouldn't be using 2 AV realtime products simultaneously. 

The flaw with this assumption regarding Norton and MBAM, is that MBAM is not an AV product.  It's a product that is designed specifically to run in realtime mode as a supplement to a mainline AV product.  The scanner engine operates in a different manner than mainline AV products.

I've been running the Pro/Premium version of MBAM side by side with the Free Avast (which has Real Time protection) and it has played very well with my MBAM and there are several members here who run MBAM side by side with any number of AV products, because as Scoop8 points out, MBAM is not an AV product.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have been running both Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware alongside ESET Nod32 without any issues (performance or conflicts).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users