Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN access on a dynamic IP with no NAT.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnwatt

johnwatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

Hello,

I currently trying to set up a VPN connection to a computer within out office that is hosting files we'd like out field engineers to be able to access.

The problem is we are in a shared office building (Regus) and so have a dynamic IP address and not NAT settings access to set tup port forwarding.

Any body any idea of any softeare out the that would allow me to achieve this with the current setup.

The computer in the office is running Windows 7 but i was thinking about installaling Windows Server which may provide me with more options.

Thanks

John

Edited by hamluis, 14 April 2014 - 11:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking _ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Does this machine have a public IP address?  Or is it a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address?

Perhaps a solution like Dropbox might be a way to have field engineers able to access.  Not sure how much data we're talking about.

#3 johnwatt

johnwatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

Hi RKilroy,

Sorry for the delay.

The server is sitting on a private network but within a shared office building the first local IP is 192.*** the second 10.**** (the private regus network) and the third hop is the public facing static ip address.

We currently use Dropbox but it is not big enough for our requirments.

John

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

This is outside my area of expertise, but I think that you would have a heck of a time getting this set up over two private IP address networks.  You might want to consider going to a business or enterprise plan with a cloud based provider.  Here are a few examples Sharefile, Dropbox, OneDrive, formally Skydrive, or Google Drive

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

The only way you can allow a connection into your comptuer is if you have access to the router/switches that face the public internet (to forward ports/Vlans/IP's) to your computer sharing the files. Or contact the owner of the building and tell them you need a public IP address for a server. The other option Is what RKilroy posted.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

The other thing you could try is asking if the server/PC you need to connect to can a) have a static private IP address, which it should have anyway B) be put in the DMZ. This would necessitate more security on it but would then be outside the router(s) firewall(s)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

Is the dynamic ip assigned to the computer or the public address? If the out side address does not change You can still setup a IPSEC Vpn tunnel.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users