Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extracting Zip Folders Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vaio840

Vaio840

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

Hey there! I purchased the style master css/xhtml tutorials and applications yesterday. When I downloaded them I immediately extracted them using the windows extractor. Problem is: after extraction the lesson folders open into notepad as html code documents. They are meant to run on the desktop just as any text editor should. I can open them in firefox but that isn't what they are supposed to do. they have a "start here" file which opens only in the browser, which is not what it is supposed to do either. Obvious question is, seeing as I cannot get an answer from westciv, the parent company, what did I/ do I do. Did I do something incorrectly? Or, is there a problem with the download and extraction process beyond my control? I was desperately hoping to use these this weekend and can't seem to get any support today from the style master support. Any knowledgeable help on this just might save a weekend set aside for this project.
33 1/3 RPM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:54 AM

Hi Vaio840.
From what I could find, the downloadable version of the courses are supposed to use a browser window.

How do the courses work?
Westciv courses are all downloadable packages. They're all in HTML format, so all you need is a web browser to read them.

They do however have cd versions of courses which may be the interactive type.
Are you saying there are hyperlinks in the courses that don't work?
What file type extension are these downloaded tutorials of yours using?

Edited by HitSquad, 20 May 2006 - 08:02 AM.

#3 Vaio840

Vaio840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

You're right. I finally got hold of one of their team and discovered that. So used to desk top apps. that I didn't even think in terms of browser. At any rate, this is great course and the Style Master app for CSS is probably THE best of all the editors I have tried. The xhtml course, now that I have it figured out, is concise and some points that are brought out clarify so well the reasons for coding the way it has to be done. Highly recommended. Thanks for posting back to me. Really appreciated! The file type is html and it uses the browser from C: .

Edited by Vaio840, 20 May 2006 - 08:06 AM.

33 1/3 RPM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users