Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to boot windows xp without clean installation after motherboard replacement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dongonchun

dongonchun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

aN old motherboard has been broken so i bought a new motherboard to replace it . the new motherboard model is not same to old motherboard. one of the reason i dont want to do clean installation because the hard disk contains a expensive software. any idea ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi

You can do a repair install which will preserve all installed programs and data. Please watch the below video tutorial for step by step instructions.

Since there is a slight chance for the repair install to fail, i highly recommend creating a backup image of C partition before starting the install. I would recommend Marium Reflect Free which will allow to make either Linux or WinPE based boot disc. You can use this disc to boot the target machine and then backup the current installation. 

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 April 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

If this is an OEM computer, there may or may not be a black screen afterwards. Prior to end of support, I would have stated would be one, since there's no more updating, I don't know if it'll check or not.

If this does happen, MS support will have to be called to re-activate, but don't expect much cooperation on their end. They're breaking their necks to get XP off the road.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

The only time that I tried this, the end result was a black screen. Changing motherboards is the same as another computer, for all intents & purposes.

Tried to move a XP install from one HP to another HP, different model (no different from a MB swap in that regard). Both were AMD based computers, so I felt it to be no issue. Used Acronis TI 2010 to make the change, after all was done & after 2-3 reboots to install drivers, the black screen appeared. I should have simply swapped HDD's, that would have been one less component changed, as the bad HP was dead anyway (MB) & on the other, the HDD was dead with no backup.

This wasn't my computer & I didn't know about the in place repair install at the time, that may have affected the outcome for the good.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

The only time that I tried this, the end result was a black screen. 

Things like that can be happen. I had both good and bad experience with repair install ( mostly success ) and that is why i recommended creating a backup image before starting the repair. If something go wrong, we can reapply the image and start from fresh. 

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

Agreed, which is why I create weekly backups of my most used OS's & monthly of those less used. I always keep the 1st backup taken of a new PC or install after updating & removing junk software, so that I'll always have a clean install to revert to, as well as keeping the last 2 taken.

Though I haven't accessed those in awhile, I still have my XP backups available, though will be destroyed once I install Linux Mint on the last one. Should I see or donate the computer, I'll include the OS reinstall media set.

More recently (last summer), I did use the in place repair install on an XP computer that wasn't mine & it was successful. However, there weren't any hardware changes, just some corrupt Windows files. Had read that was the best way to fix the issue, as I recall, on the "How to Geek" site.

Cat

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

A simpler approach might be to buy another HD, load the OS then put the old drive in as a slave.  I have not had any luck over the years getting a drive from the old board to work Glitch free.  I believe there are ways to get you software to work off the slave.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users