Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to cope with low disk space problems?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Monroe676

Monroe676

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

I have got a low disk space problem. There is only 2% of free space left on my C partition. Now, the computer also acts really slowly. So, I just wonder to expand it. I had deleted an empty partition last weekend and created about 25GB of unallocated space. So, I want to know whether the unallocated space can be added to this partition. If it is, how can I do that? Please, give me some suggestions! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

The easiest thing to do would be to simply move some documents / pictures / videos from your main partition to your second one.  Or you can follow the instructions in post # 2 on this site:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/19b60bc3-86a2-45d1-b2b5-16f9f3671a2b/how-to-merge-partitions-in-windows-7-?forum=w7itproperf. 

Moving files to a new partition would negate any possible problems that might arise from merging the partitions together.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'm with Trakeen.  Moving data to the newly free space is easier than merging partitions.  As far as I know you will need a third party application to resize the partition.  If you select to resize the partition it is HIGHLY recommended that you back up any important data prior.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

Try CCleaner also... on older machines it can remove an incredible amount of junk.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Another question just how old is the HD, IMO if it is 3-4 years old buy a new larger drive mirror you old drive onto it.  Big drives are darn cheap now a days!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 Ernest5673

Ernest5673

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

Two solutions for you:

1). If the 25GB of unallocated space is exactly behind your C drive, back up all important data, open Disk Management (right click “My Computer to hit “Manage” > click “Disk Management” in the left listed categories) and right click this C drive to extend it there.

2). But, if the unallocated space is not adjacent to your C drive, you also can take chances with some reliable partition resizing tools like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and Active Partition Master, etc.

No matter which solution you prefer, always back up everything important well at first.

#7 Jeremy542

Jeremy542

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

Ye, you can add your unallocated space to your C partition. Extend it in Disk Management or extend it with some partition resizing tools.

I have ever had some success to extend my system partition with the guidance of a video tutorial:

Of course, never forget to make data backups at first, in case of data loss.

I hope my words can give you some clues. 

Edited by Jeremy542, 17 April 2014 - 10:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users