Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop smell

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have an older laptop, and I'll be honest with you, I overwork it.

Anyways, the last few days, I have noticed that when the laptop heats up and the fan runs real fast, the laptop omits a smell similar to body odor. It seriously smells like poop and expired milk.

Is my hardware burnt up or what?

-Calvin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobertMizell

RobertMizell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

Remove your laptop battery and Check. Maybe you need a new battery.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

I would be more inclined to look at cooling.

To me it sounds like the heatsink on the processor is full of gunk and as it heats up you get the smell.

Try using a can of compressed air to clear the vents etc.

#4 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

The battery has been shot for over a year now. It only holds 4% charge. I have to have th echarger plugged in if I have any hopes of using the system. I don't mind it, because the laptop and case are too bulky to go anywhere, so being confined to a desk is a kinda good thing.

I put larger grip pads on the bottom of it to raise it up and allow more air underneath and into the fan.

Also, using compressed air, I probably blew out 50 tons of cat hair, dust and God knows what else.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Over time the units fans and vents will become clogged with dirt and dust.  The CPU heaksink assembly needs to be cleaned also.  That's the source of the smell.

#6 RobertMizell

RobertMizell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

The battery has been shot for over a year now. It only holds 4% charge. I have to have th echarger plugged in if I have any hopes of using the system. I don't mind it, because the laptop and case are too bulky to go anywhere, so being confined to a desk is a kinda good thing.

I put larger grip pads on the bottom of it to raise it up and allow more air underneath and into the fan.

Also, using compressed air, I probably blew out 50 tons of cat hair, dust and God knows what else.

If the units fans and vents was clogged, clean them. using this laptop as a desktop, you don't need change your battery. Just remove the dirt and dust.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Have you ever spilled anything on the laptop?

#8 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

If the units fans and vents was clogged, clean them. using this laptop as a desktop, you don't need change your battery. Just remove the dirt and dust.

I removed as much as dust and dirt as I could. There is a screen/filter thing that sits below the fan to keep larger particles out. It was clogged shut with cat hairs so I removed the panel to clean it and then reinstalled. The performance of my system has already improved significantly. The smell is still there, but it is not as bad as it was! :bounce:

Have you ever spilled anything on the laptop?

Well, I got the laptop a few months ago from a friend, and he had it five years prior. He had not used it since 2010, and it has been sitting in a case since. When he dropped it off he told me no history of it, so I know nothing. I have no idea if he spilled anything on it when he owned it, but I have for sure NOT spilled anything on it during the time I have owned it so far. :)

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

If the intake was that bad I would be pulling it apart the fan/heatsink is probably loaded.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,405 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

If the intake was that bad I would be pulling it apart the fan/heatsink is probably loaded.

+1 Tech

In my reply I said.

To me it sounds like the heatsink on the processor is full of gunk and as it heats up you get the smell

#11 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

NickAu1: I cleaned the heatsink and processor last night and got a lot of gunk. Anyways, the smell is no longer AND my performance is better.

Topic can be locked/deleted.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,405 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

I cleaned the heatsink and processor last night and got a lot of gunk.

Did you remove the heat sink from the processor? The reason I ask is that if you did and you cleaned it you may need to apply some of that thermal gell between the 2 bits.

Edited by NickAu1, 18 April 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#13 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nah. I just blew out the dirt and dust from between the components. Honestly, I am scared to do anything with my internal components, because the last thing I want is to completely ruin my system and then have to pay $texas to have a professional, who at least knows what they're doing, to fix it.

Anyways, I blew out as much gunk from the system as I could, and the performance is improved greatly. The fan is stressing less, and laptop and HDD have a lower operating temperature.

When I removed the bottom of the laptop, I did, however, make a cool discovery - my laptop has TWO Intel processors! Talk about AWESOME!

#14 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I literally just ran the laptop for two weeks straight nonstop for a 60GB-sized HD1080p YouTube upload, and it was maintaining an internal temperature of 129 degrees (F). The laptop managed to heat up my entire desk (but the heat spread to the keyboard so it felt like I was typing on squares made of lava), so the laptop is turned off and will be cooling down and resting as it will also get a chance to get recharged. I honestly just ran it a lot harder than I should have.

According to System Monitor, over the course of 13 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes, and 13.8 seconds (total uptime for video upload), processor 1 was running at a constant rate of 53-78% usage. Processor 2 was running at a constant rate of 38-67% usage. The system load was a constant rate of 2.1. The network usage was a constant of 1.5KiB/s download, 65KiB/s download. RAM capacity was 2GB, 1.78GB was used during video upload, then it emptied to 367MB used after. Cache was 5MB before upload, filled up to 852MB, then emptied to 5MB after.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,405 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Cool.

I hope nobody Laughs at me now, Heres what I did on my laptop, I cleaned it by taking it appart, Did all the right things, And it works fine.

Then I went out and got 1 of those cooling pads.

This 1. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17inch-2-Fan-Dual-USB-Port-Laptop-Notebook-Cooling-Pad-Cooler-Stand-R1BO/161206547510?hash=item2588a8b436

Now the funny bit.

I stole a pair of my wifes pantyhose cut them up and used a bit from the leg part to wrap the cooling pad. Why? Because it stops any rubbish from being blown into the laptop. Acts like an airfilter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users