Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thundrbolt monitor to PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have a Gigabyte board with dual thunderbolt connections, got to thinking about using a thunderbolt display.  I know the thunder bolt displays were for Mac's but am wondering if I can use one.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

I believe so as I want to say that Thunderbolt is an Intel technology.  Looks like LG also has a Thunderbolt monitor.

Thunderbolt was supposed to be a USB replacement, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Just thinking at this point, just got back to work after nearly two years so the pot is a little empty!

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

You have to be a little careful as not everyone uses the same connector. Apple uses a MiniDisplay connector, while some Windows computers have used USB connectors for ThunderBolt if memory servers.

From looking up your motherboard, it does appear that Gigabyte used the MiniDisplay port connector and the Gigabyte page for the motherboard does imply that the MiniDisplay signals go along the ThunderBolt cable:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4279#ov

(see the first section on Thunderbolt)

You can also look at this post:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=14669423&postcount=12

It is a post that is part of a thread reviewing the motherboard. The person in that post said they were going to try a Thunderbolt monitor, but they never posted back if it worked. Seems to suggest that it may have worked as I would assume that poster would have posted back if there were problems.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

like I mentioned earlier my cash flow is starting to resume, I have to see if one of my Mac friends has a monitor I can try.  Problem is most have LT's but I will be asking.

I think I will see if I can find that guy on the OC board to see how he made out.

Edited by OldPhil, 15 April 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

like I mentioned earlier my cash flow is starting to resume, I have to see if one of my Mac friends has a monitor I can try.  Problem is most have LT's but I will be asking.

I think I will see if I can find that guy on the OC board to see how he made out.

I would definitely say it would be wise to determine whether it can work or not before going out and buying an Apple Thunderbolt display as those Thunderbolt displays are not cheap!

If you are able to find out if it works or not (either by borrowing a friend's monitor or from that poster on the OC forum), I would be curious to know what you find out. I could see wanting to get a motherboard with Thunderbolt when I finally get around to building my next computer…although I am not sure I would use a Thunderbolt display with such a computer (assuming it works)…I kind of see a Thunderbolt display being more useful with a laptop as it can act like a docking station.

Edited by smax013, 16 April 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

I paged Zardoz on the AU OC forum, he got back very quickly really sharp guy.  Turns out he is a tester, he felt there was not significant difference to warrant spending the bucks.  He had also did a review on the Gigabyte board with thunderbolt, I book marked that for future ref.  Thanks smax013 for the above link!

Link to his Gigabyte board review: http://respawn.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=2547

The review is on a up4 board but extremely similar to the up5 I run.

Phil

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

I paged Zardoz on the AU OC forum, he got back very quickly really sharp guy.  Turns out he is a tester, he felt there was not significant difference to warrant spending the bucks.  He had also did a review on the Gigabyte board with thunderbolt, I book marked that for future ref.  Thanks smax013 for the above link!

Link to his Gigabyte board review: http://respawn.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=2547
The review is on a up4 board but extremely similar to the up5 I run.

Phil

As I said, I don't really see the value of it for a desktop computer unless 1) you really want a 27" 2560x1440 resolution monitor that is close to being a "pro grade" monitor (i.e. better colors for things like desktop publishing, etc) or 2) REALLY need extra ports (i.e. more USB ports or a Firewire port). To me, it make much more sense for a laptop as it could then essentially be a "docking station" for the laptop (i.e. have the ethernet cable connected to the monitor as well as external hard drives and/or local printers…and a keyboard and mouse) for when you want to use the laptop as a desktop…but can then just disconnect one cable (OK, two if you count the laptop power cable too) to then take the laptop out and about.

It is nice to see from his review that you can use your discrete graphics card to power the Thunderbolt display. If you were forced to use just the onboard graphics, that would be a major downside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users