Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cincinnati Bell HTC One S questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kamchak

Kamchak

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

I have a Cincinnati Bell HTC One S that I've had for about 18 months. I play games and use apps, very rarely use it for pictures(10 max before I move them to my desktop), and never for music. I started having issues with games, and the game help desk said I needed to install the new andriod update.  Then, I started having sporadic difficulty connecting to the wifi in my house, and my carrier told me my phone was somehow defective and I needed to buy a new one.  That didn't sound right to me, so I started researching.

The phone says it is version 4.1.1, 3.14.422.11 710RD, and when I try to do a manual update, it says there is no update available.  I started looking online, rather than through Cincinnati Bell, and I see that a version 4.1.2 version came out for my phone last summer, and many people are even running versions up to 4.4?  I also noticed that my phone is set with 6.07GB for Internal Storage, and 9.93GB of Phone Storage.

I then searched the web articles about my phone, my carrier, my version, and HTC updates in general. The general conclusion is that, even though there have been updates released by HTC for the One S, my carrier has not tested and/or made the updates available, and, upon further reading, there are many updates available beyond the official updates that people are using successfully and stably. Therefore, I decided it looks like it's up to me to keep my phone functioning for my specific purposes, so I needed to figure out what was the most successfully and stably used upgrade to my phone/carrier's system, and how to go about applying it.

I searched the web for forums about my phone, and the 3 most popular results were xda-developers.com, androidcentral.com(which seems to focus on non-US, and doesn't have a very active community, regardless of expertise), and cyanogenmod.com(which didn't have any references to my carrier). I went to xda-developers because it has the most active community with members who have direct experience with my phone and my carrier, specifically.  After telling them this same story, I've received no answer for the past 2 days.  Not so much as a "GTFO!"

I'm guessing I may have been too much a newb to be considered worth helping. So, here are my general questions:

Would my phone be performing better with an updated version/ROM/ruu/whatever-you-wanna-callit?
Since I don't really use any storage for movies, music, or pictures, is there a way to re-allocate the storage so I have more room for apps?
Since I don't really use any storage for movies, music, or pictures, is there a way to get rid of the apps related to them? (Google Play Books, Music, Newsstand, Google Text-to-Speech Engine, SoundHound)

I am obviously a complete newb, but I follow directions well. Can someone please help me out or direct me to what I'm supposed to read?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

If your carrier is refusing to apply Android upgrades to your phone likely because of its age, it may be time to kick them to the curb and get a new phone with a new carrier. They probably want you to upgrade to a new phone but you're not taking the hint. It's a sneaky way to do that but they have no shame.

#3 Kamchak

Kamchak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Well, in my reading, I also saw that Cincinnati Bell is selling off its wireless division to Verizon, so I'm sure that's part of it. I just really don't want to buy another phone, as I'm married w/2 kids, and I had to *really* work hard just to get the wife to let me have this phone, so I need to get every last cent out of it if I'm gonna be able to prove to her that I'm not being frivolous. Not to mention, it just rubs me wrong to pay full-pop for something that doesn't even last as long as the contract. Also (just so I'm sure to beat the dead horse), if I *do* get another phone/carrier, I kinda want to experiment on this one, so I'm not such a newb/not so afraid of tampering with a phone. I mean, how else am I gonna learn?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

Learn what? About planned obsolescence? I'm sure you can get a really good $0 deal on a new phone from a new carrier. They are always offering incentives. Anything else seems like a waste of time.

#5 Kamchak

Kamchak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

You are trying to get me to quit on a piece of equipment, when I have proof that it is NOT obsolete. Bah, if I have to explain it to you, you'll never understand, so I'll just say this: Not everyone has the same level of "roll over and take it" that you do.

If you're not going to help, Frank - kindly move out of the way.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

You're wrong. I had the same phone (HTC Evo) for 2 1/2 years before upgrading last week. The phone is not the problem. The problem is your carrier won't upgrade Android and that makes your phone obsolete. And if you're going to switch carriers, it makes no sense to do that with an old phone tied to your previous carrier because your new phone will be free just for switching. You can't upgrade Android unless your carrier agrees to it. They quit on you. Time to move on. BTW, I now have an HTC One upgraded to Android 4.5. 

#7 Kamchak

Kamchak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not wrong - you're beaten, and used to accepting it.  I just got off the phone with a CBW customer service rep that has my exact phone.  Hers is unlocked, upgraded and working fine.  Not only that, but I was informed that ALL CBW phones are going to be receiving their unlock keys and having their contracts terminated so that they may decide who to take their business to if they do not want to transition to Verizon, and if they do transition to Verizon, they will not be under contract.

I do agree with you on one point - the phone is not the problem, the carrier is.  The fact that the phone is able to be unlocked without interrupting service(once again, officially verified) shows that the real failure occurs when people think that they buy hardware and are not allowed to do what they wish with it.  The phone is not obsolete, the way of thinking is.  Ignorance regarding a situation does not make it impossible, it just requires arming yourself with information prior to a favorable outcome.  I do not subscribe to the thought process that makes people think that just because there's something new, anything old must be discarded.  If I still followed that train of thought, I wouldn't build my own computers.  I'd just throw mine out at the end of every year, and go pay through the nose for a new 'official' one.

Regardless, if you choose to be stuck and perpetually told what and how to think, by all means - carry on, but quit trying to get me to drink the koolaide just because you like the taste of it.

Now, is there anyone in this forum with anything helpful or constructive to add?

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

The problem with your theory is smartphones wear out a lot quicker than other devices. The battery is the first thing to go. And that's why in most cases it's not worth it to sign a new contract with an older phone when you can get a brand new phone for free that will last the term of your new contract. Your new carrier will make you an offer you shouldn't refuse...unless you're stubborn. I liked my old phone. That's why I kept it for 2 1/2 years. But the battery had been slowly dying for the last six months and it wasn't worth it to repair it when I can get a new one for free. 

Edited by frankp316, 14 April 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#9 Kamchak

Kamchak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

I was not aware that smartphones' batteries wore out quicker. Thanks for that info. I will say that in my reading I found that the batteries are doing much better due to the software upgrades(via elimination of battery draining glitches). What I'm getting is that even if smartphones were initially not as long lived, at least some of it was due to software. So, if I can get even a few more months out of this phone, I *might* be able to go without buying a new phone prior to the carrier transition. If I was just dealing with me, I probably would just buy a new one, but my wife actually needs one for work, and I have 2 teenagers that are clawing up my back to get new phones. I would LOVE to toss my 'old' phone to them and say, "Whoever figures out how to make it work... Gets it!" Family bloodsport ftw!!!

Edited by Kamchak, 14 April 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

The reason I got an HTC One is because it's supposed to have a longer battery life. If it lives up to its hype, I shouldn't have to upgrade until my contract runs out in two years. I think your business is up for grabs and carriers are going to fight over your business. And don't forget they all have family plans. That means you will probably get several new phones all for free. It makes no sense to cling to a two year old phone just on principle. It has nothing to do with wanting to have the latest phone. Sometimes upgrading is the best way.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Since the member is going to have their current phone unlocked and current contract terminated. We should wait and see what opportunities arise from that. The OP has stated that automatically upgrading to brand new phone is not a feasible alternative currently. None of us knows the current members situation and suggestions offered need to fit their needs not always the easiest and simple ones that come to mind first.

Hopefully others who are in the same or similar situation can identify with the situation and offer tips and or suggestions. Keeping in the mind the limitations the OP has presented.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users