Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer stops typing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

I have a 2-3 yo HP Pavilion p7-1174 PC, windows 7, AMD quad core A8, 8GB DDR3, 1.5TB, that randomly stops typing. It then gives computer pinging sounds to tell you that it stopped typing (it has stopped 2 x already). You then reset the cursor and it will restart. I use wireless. I have used 2 different wireless setups, Microsoft and Logitech, and I have tried a wired setup also and it happens with any setup. I have looked at device manager and updated drivers. Please help or redirect to the proper group. Chevelle67.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

This may possibly very silly, but it is a problem that I have experienced with laptops - accidentally brushing the track pad while typing and moving the insertion point completely away from what I am trying to type. And if the insertion point gets moved to where it cannot insert text you will those beeps.

I find this problem increased because I normally use a slightly sloped keyboard, and most laptop keyboards are completely flat. My normal solution if I have to do any intensive work on a laptop I plug in a mouse and disable the trackpad.

Might be worth trying a mouse.

Chris Cogrove

#3 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

This is a desktop with a separate mouse and keyboard. Chevelle67

#4 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hello??  Just-to-fill-the-void, I will clarify that what I meant by wireless and wired was that I have used wired and wireless mouse and keyboard set ups to see if it had anything to do with a particular mouse and/or keyboard. Any combination causes the problem. Therefore it doesn't seem to be the externals. Just a guess. Chevelle67

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Sorry - my mistake. I must have somehow plugged the wrong model number into Google, I'll swear it was a laptop came up!

Problems like these are usually associated with the keyboard, but since you have tried several, that eliminates the easy one. Two other possibilities come to mind.

USB or wireless, have you been using the same USB socket or have you tried a different one? They can go faulty and give some weird intermittent faults.

The other area that might be causing this is your video card. It might be worth your while to uninstall and re-install your video drivers. If you use the on-board video you can get them from the HP site, if you use a separate video card, then from the manufacturer's site.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

I do have an add on video card, old nvidea gt 220. I will uninstall and see if this helps. Chevelle67

#7 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

I uninstalled the video card and gave it time. The typing still stops and the cursor also has to be re-set. It seems that there is a timing that the computer has that stops the typing and the mouse cursor point. I have to take the mouse and re-establish the cursor point for the typing. The mouse also will not scroll the screen until I move the mouse and re-click the cursor on the field. Then the scrolling works again. This problem occurred at least 5 times while typing this message. Chevelle67.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users