Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update of death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

This morning when I started up my Windows 8.1 laptop, it immediately launched to an Update screen with the following message: 'Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 1'. I've waited for two and half hours for anything to happen, but even after all that time, nothing had happened (usually, my computer updates quite quickly or at least goes to the screen where they show the progression of the installing updates in percentage). For lack of other options, I simply shut down my laptop and restarted it to see if I could at least get into it to restore it, but it immediately launched into the same blue screen with the update 1 of 1 message it had before. I waited for another hour but nothing had changed and I shut it down again, leaving it for some time before starting it up again, but the same thing happened: I don't get to see the usual ' Asus'  logo OR the crucial log in screen necessary to do a system recovery, I read  (I only get to see that screen before that showing the time and wifi connection, and clicking it will instantly make it go to the update screen again). 

To put it simply: I can't do anything with it. The update has made my laptop die, and in the worst possible moment, because last night I saved a very important portfolio I need to send tomorrow!

Even worse: because 8.1 was a store update, I don't have any CD's/DVD's to boot it with. 

Does anyone know how I can solve this update cycle of death? This is making me desperate!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Solved it, turns out my laptop wasn't shutting down properly even though it seemed to do so, and the cycle stopped after I took out the battery and restarted it again!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

:censored:  Computers :busy:

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Haha, definitely, although we couldn't live without them (or, most of us anyway), sometimes I just want to throw Windows out the window. Should've known the 'just kill it' method would work, but I had sworn it was completely shut off when I had simply pressed the 'off' button. Well, I'm glad it's alive again! Hopefully, to anyone else having the problem, this will work as well. 

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

...but I had sworn it was completely shut off when I had simply pressed the 'off' button.

If you mean the physical Off button, then you shouldn't shut down that way because on most laptops it just puts it to sleep.  The correct way to shut down is:

• Press the Windows key and the X key simultaneously
  • Click on Shutdown or sign out-->Shut down

Of course, you can also shut down from the Charms Bar-->Settings-->Power-->Shut down.

#6 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

I usually don't shut it down that way, but the way you describe, but since I couldn't access anything on my laptop anymore my only option had been to press the off button, which indeed didn't shut it down but put it to sleep instead, it just took two tries for me to realize it wasn't truly shutting down. ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users