Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive literally filling in front of my eyes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 J.Swan

J.Swan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Im really in need of some help here. The other day I randomly got a message saying my C drive was almost full. it struck me as strange since I wasnt downloading anything to cause it to be filled. Whats also weird is that i have 698gigs of hard drive space in total, and the last I checked (about a month or so ago) I had over 250gigs left. So, I go ahead and delete a bunch of old games and music the whole nine and I write down and monitor how much space I have left to see if its an on going problem. Well, i end up with 194gigs free on my C Drive. I checked it before I went to bed, woke up... 156gigs free. Now, I dont understand most of the technical terms but I have googled this problem trying to find some help, but its almost always people complaining "where did my space go? I have this big 40gig hard drive. derp". So if anyone can help me before my computer fills itself with nothing I would be so happy. I dont have the money to replace it, or geek squad it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Please download and run treesize (https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) to see where the space is being used. It could be a malware issue - do you have a good av installed and resident?

Edited by Allan, 13 April 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#3 gingersitka

gingersitka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I had a similiar problem to this but not as drastic. I downloaded ccleaner at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I found out that my hard drive was being filled by system restore points.

1. Download & Install ccleaner, during installation it will ask if you want it to itelligently scan you web cookies, click yes.
  2. I recommend leaving everything standard on what to cleanup except in the windows tab check disk file fragments, and old prefetch data. But you can choose otherwise.
  3. I recommend running it on normal file deletion in the options settings. I used to run more secure 1 overwrite pass, but the more passes the slower the cleanup process is.
  4. Go to tools tab in ccleaner click on system restore, It's normal to see about 5-10 restore points if you have more I recommend start removing them in from the bottom up, the bottom restore points being farther in past, the farther up the list the closer to the present time.
  5. Go to tools tab in ccleaner click on drive wiper. make sure freespace only in the top entry is selected and NOT ENTIRE DRIVE. I recommend 1 overwrite pass unless you want a more secure deletion which I recommend advanced (3) passes.
  6. NOTE: after all this is done your computer should be alot faster responding/navigating. I recommend checking your startup entries in ccleaner under tools tab and disable anything that sound unnecessary. Then RESTART your computer and see if anything changes.

#4 J.Swan

J.Swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Alright im off to check out your suggestions. I had seen a link to a program WinDirStat. And come to find out it would appear that "N360_Backup" is almost... twice the size of every file on my computer combined. Which is funny because I went to check my system restore points, and in windows (i run windows 7) it says i dont have any. And then when i was going through my nortons360 it says i only have one restore point from 2 hours ago. So my guess is that N360 is doing something incompetently. Before i proceed does anyone want to give a bit of input on the new information i have provided?

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

The information you just provided is helpful but I would still use Alan's suggested site as it provide a list that can be referred to and hopefully minimize speculating on what's going on

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,041 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Fist things first.  I would suggest following Alan's suggestion to determine where this space is being used, then post your findings.

If you want to rule out Norton being a part of this download Avast!, but don't install it just yet.

Take your computer off line and uninstall Norton with their Removal Tool.

Now install Avast! and see what the performance is like.

Edited by dc3, 13 April 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 J.Swan

J.Swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I had a similiar problem to this but not as drastic. I downloaded ccleaner at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

1. Download & Install ccleaner, during installation it will ask if you want it to itelligently scan you web cookies, click yes.
  2. I recommend leaving everything standard on what to cleanup except in the windows tab check disk file fragments, and old prefetch data. But you can choose otherwise.
  3. I recommend running it on normal file deletion in the options settings. I used to run more secure 1 overwrite pass, but the more passes the slower the cleanup process is.
  4. Go to tools tab in ccleaner click on system restore, It's normal to see about 5-10 restore points if you have more I recommend start removing them in from the bottom up, the bottom restore points being farther in past, the farther up the list the closer to the present time.
  5. Go to tools tab in ccleaner click on drive wiper. make sure freespace only in the top entry is selected and NOT ENTIRE DRIVE. I recommend 1 overwrite pass unless you want a more secure deletion which I recommend advanced (3) passes.
  6. NOTE: after all this is done your computer should be alot faster responding/navigating. I recommend checking your startup entries in ccleaner under tools tab and disable anything that sound unnecessary. Then RESTART your computer and see if anything changes.

Alrighty I clicked on "tools, system restore as you stated in step 4. The only one i have is called "Norton_Power_Eraser (a ton of random numbers)". Im not too computer illiterate to know that doesnt seem good. 

#8 J.Swan

J.Swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Okay so for the final step. This is what i want selected before i click wipe? 

10153394_10201469538172798_2125804418_n.

#9 J.Swan

J.Swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

So im doing exactly as it says in the steps provided and im getting a bit nervous because as its finishing what its doing (20 minutes left according to its estimated timer) i check my Cdrive's space and im watching it go down at about a gig a second. There is a GIGANTIC 115+ and growing file thing. Im not sure what it is considered actually. Its name is just a bunch of capital letters. 10259579_10201470279751337_1517890359_n.

#10 gingersitka

gingersitka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:10 AM

Okay so for the final step. This is what i want selected before i click wipe? 

10153394_10201469538172798_2125804418_n.

Correct this will wipe all sectors on the hard drive currently not being used. This will increase performance drastically by fully deleting partially deleted files, Increasing disk performance while also allowing a sound surface for new programs and data to be.

#11 gingersitka

gingersitka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

So im doing exactly as it says in the steps provided and im getting a bit nervous because as its finishing what its doing (20 minutes left according to its estimated timer) i check my Cdrive's space and im watching it go down at about a gig a second. There is a GIGANTIC 115+ and growing file thing. Im not sure what it is considered actually. Its name is just a bunch of capital letters. 10259579_10201470279751337_1517890359_n.

My first question is do you have an external hard drive? If No you should strongly be thinking of getting one probably 1Terabyte or more. Doing backups to your C: or operating system drive doesn't make much sense to me. The fuller your drive gets the more strain your putting on it. The more fragmented the Hard drive is the more it has to work to get the data. Your Norton backups are almost taking up 50% of your hard drive. The next question is what is the file right below Norton 360 backup that's taking up 93% (135.9GB) of the rest of the items on your hard drive? You can type the file name into a seach engine to find out or post here maybe someone knows what it is. I cant see the full file name.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

I use CCleaner but not as far as what you are doing so I'm learning something from all of this

As mentioned whatever you are backing up should be backing up to an external hard drive

It sounds to me like you should stop Norton's backups and eliminate whatever it has done

Then there's System Restore: System Restore doesn't report any but Norton360 reports only one 2 hours ago: have you checked CCleaners System Restore?

I Googled the full portion of the 3590F number and did not get an exact hit so I do not know what it is yet but some similar numbers came up that looked troublesome but when I don't find an exact answer I keep those posts in the back of my mind as I don't like to speculate

But it appears to me that you are using Norton360 to keep the computer in good order but I strongly suspect you need to do some computer maintenance as well as ensure your computer is both clean and secure on your own

--- But I don't want to interfere with what you are doing

--- Are you doing Windows Updates?

--- I have 2 Windows 7 computers and each of them report Windows Updates in System Restore when they are done

#13 gingersitka

gingersitka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

This is Normal it is formatting all Your unused space. In other words it will reformat your whole hard drive except that being occupied like your operating system and installed programs It is perfectly SAFE. It will create a new surface for programs & data to operate on. After this is done it will increase your disk performance drastically.

#14 gingersitka

gingersitka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:21 AM

Alrighty I clicked on "tools, system restore as you stated in step 4. The only one i have is called "Norton_Power_Eraser (a ton of random numbers)". Im not too computer illiterate to know that doesnt seem good. 

That is Normal, Norton Power Eraser is a special malware removal tool by Norton that uses a high aggresive heuristic scanning method so before it operated it created a system restore point. I wouldn't mess with that restore point, not that you can, the last restore point in ccleaner is unavailable from being deleted for safety measures.

Edited by gingersitka, 15 April 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#15 gingersitka

gingersitka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

The problem your having is Norton 360 backup is Occupying 50% of your hard drive. You should open Norton 360 backup and check the backup settings.

1. Where the backups are being stored (C:programfiles/Norton)
  2. What are included in backups this could be your problem (documents, email, music, videos, etc.)
  3. Backup Frequency (manual, monthly, weekly)
  4. Next once determined what you want backed up save changes.
  5. figure out how to delete the older backups usually within the program itself, I will get back to you on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users