Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI.sys corrupt - using Hiren's BootCD 15.2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 purpleskies87

purpleskies87

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hello,

First off, I am using Windows XP Professional (32 bit I believe)

I am speaking through Hiren's Mini XP. So far, so good as I can access Windows through bypassing the error I keep getting, but bad because even updating the driver which needs updated through the tools I have available (which I tried doing via iObit's Driver Booster - never using again by the way, I think this was what caused my error in the first place), it still doesn't boot. My error (as I do not have it written down) just told me

File is missing or corrupt: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\pci.sys

Then it tells me to insert an install disk (Which I tried my Windows XP Professional disk, didn't work) and press "r" to repair.

So I got Hiren's BootCD and here I am. Anyone know enough about this BootCD to walk me through restoring my driver to the previous version/can help me update it correctly? I used Device Doctor, and upgraded the PCI driver it tells me needs upgrading, but when I restart in regular XP, I still get the same error.

Please, any help is appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

Is this the same computer you post about here?

Hiren's BootCD is a live windows only special programs or the ones prepared to work from Windows PE can do changes to the off-line system installed on the HDD.

If the file pci.sys is really missing one thing you can try is to find another copy of this file on the Hard Disk and make a copy to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 April 2014 - 01:26 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

I used Device Doctor, and upgraded the PCI driver it tells me needs upgrading, but when I restart in regular XP, I still get the same error.

These 3rd party driver services often causes more issues than are fixed, though a few users reports success. It's best to install drivers from the computer (OEM) site, as they'll be the correct ones for your model. Depending on brand, some may offer updated drivers, some may not.

Device Doctor, Slim Drivers & Driver Max all falls into the same category. Many of the drivers are generic & not computer specific.

Dell is one of the best for maintaining original & updated drivers for their devices, long after many have been scrapped, I see that you mention a optiplex gx620 in your other thread.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/optiplex-gx620

Enter your Service tag & let it do it's thing, it'll present you with a list of most current drivers.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 purpleskies87

purpleskies87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

These were two different computers. I fixed this issue yesterday (sorry I didn't respond to let you know, I have a 20 month old son who is very lively haha), but the other remains unsolved. I do not have the Optiplex here, but will bump it up when I am visiting with my mother next.

Where should I go to update drivers for just a random custom-built computer? Can I still download from Dell or is that strictly for Dell computers? What would you recommend?

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Where should I go to update drivers for just a random custom-built computer? Can I still download from Dell or is that strictly for Dell computers? What would you recommend?

Always download the drivers from the manufactures web site, if it's a custom build you need to collect all them starting with the drivers for the motherboard available on the board manufacture web site.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

As SleepyDude has stated. Note that you may have several different brands of hardware in your self built computer other than the MB, the major ones carries updates for their components. Examples are Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Realtek & others.

If you have SSD's, don't forget firmware updates for those also.

No, you cannot use Dell update for a self built computer, unless a component that was recycled from a Dell was used. For example, a GPU that was distributed on Dell PC's only & there's no AMD or Nvidia update for the OEM branded component. Such as the AMD (Dell OEM) Radeon 7570 that I removed from my Dell PC. AMD doesn't support that card, so in that case I would use the Dell driver if I were to use it on another PC. And hope that it works.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users