Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new machine, but does this setup look alright for a do-it-yourselfer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LanceA

LanceA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

Heya. I've decided to get myself a new PC. I have a price estimate for a custom build by CyberPower PC, but I can scrounge better hardware and save money by building it myself. Basically, I'd like to know if anyone can find any problems with my planned build, as I'm not sure if these components will "fit" together and function well.

The plan is:

Corsair Carbide 300R Case (not sure what fans are needed beyond default)

i7-4770K 3.50 GHz CPU

Corsair Hydro 240mm Liquid Cooling (for CPU)

GIGABYTE Z87X-UD4H ATX Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Gaphics Card

--I'd like 16gb of RAM, but I haven't made a final choice here.--

Corsair RM1000 Power Supply

Seagate Pro 600 240GB SSD: read/write 520Mb/s and 450Mb/s

Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD 64Mb cache

LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive

And that's the long and short of it. Using the CyberPower PC ordering service, it'd cost around $200 more and I would be downgraded to a 2TB HDD. Does this kind of setup look copacetic? How difficult would it be to put this together myself, as an amateur who has never built a computer?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

It looks like money is no object.

My advice is if you want a 3tb hdd then get 1 do not settle for a 2tb.

Can you assemble it?

That is a question only you can answer, How good are you at following instructions? Reading manuals?

My suggestion is get a pro to assemble it for you, Plugging the wrong bit into the wrong bit could fry something.  You are spending money on what on paper looks like a great system spend a few more bux for a pro to assemble it.

#3 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

PC's are like fancy legos. You have to work to plug things in incorrectly (for the most part). There are exceptions that you have to pay attention to, of course, but as long as you can take your time and read a manual, all is good.

One note though, you have a 1kw Power supply listed in a machine that will be using less than 500watts. I understand the desire for more power than necessary, but you are honestly wasting money on it. Feed that money back into a larger solid state drive from a better company. Samsung or Plextor would be my recommendations.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#4 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, It does seem very expensive.I'm planning on using this computer primarily for gaming and video editing with Adobe Premiere and After Effects, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to cut back on cost while still maintaining a relatively high level of performance in these two categories, I'd appreciate it, though I suspect that might be like asking for a desert without sand.

#5 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Lance the important thing is to decide what resolution you will be gaming/working at then build from there, are you using 1080p 1440 or 4k or triple monitor setup?

You maybe using 1080p now but in the future may decide to get one of the Newfangled 4k monitors  or maybe add 2, or even  5 more 1080p monitors to your setup

These factors will determine what video card/s you will need and subsequently how much power you'll need for your system

Like said in the posts above 1000w is overkill for your current application but if your plan is to add a few more graphics cards in addition to overclocking your CPU then it may or may not be enough. As it stands a good 600 PSU should suffice

As far as RAM goes I'd suggest a minimum of 16 GB (2x8gb) good brands like Gskill, Corsair etc

SSD Minimum size 256gb I prefer OCZ  Aside from that everything looks ok

Assembling a computer yourself is not that hard, and the $200 saved could be put to a soundcard, larger SSD or extra monitor or right back in your pocket

All u need is a couple of computer screwdrivers(Philips and flathead), antistatic wriststrap, and instructions. 

Other items that can be helpful are flashilight, latex gloves( so you don't put body oils on PC parts :lol: ) 

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

That looks like a good upper-mid range build.  A few points to consider...

Do you need water cooling?  Usually, most people have no use for it unless they are overclocking.  A quality air cooler would do well.

Have you considered the GeForce GTX 780, normal or Ti, over the 770?

Unless you are planning on using SLI/Crossfire, you have no need for a 1KW PSU.  A 750W would be great, that is, unless the price difference between the two is small.

If you are thinking about 4K, you may need a SLI/Crossfire setup with GPU's that have plenty of memory.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users