Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What cable do I need to connect a VHS recorder to my pc?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jay NotApplicable

Jay NotApplicable

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

Hi,

I would like to connect a VHS recorder to my computer. But I don't know what the name of the cable is. The VHS output is either coax or RCA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

you need an analogue video capture card.... it is slightly more complex than just buying a cable.

#3 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

TsVk is correct.  Knowing what your trying to do would help answer this question.  If you are trying to save old family movies in a digital format- it would be a lot easier to buy an inexpensive VHS/DVD player-recorder and copy the tapes to a DVD.  Once that is done it is easy to save the DVD disc to your hard drive, burn copies for family and friends, or whatever.  This is how I converted all of my old VHS family movies to a digital format many years ago.

If you are trying to upload copy protected VHS movies- even with a tuner card the content may be scrabbled after it is uploaded.

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#4 Jay NotApplicable

Jay NotApplicable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Ok, thanks. I'm not working with copyrighted material. These are all home movies. I think I know what I need to buy now. Thank you =)

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

You can also look into Honestech 7.0 Deluxe, it is a small box that hooks up via cables USB, RCA and Svideo quite inexpensive.  If you are looking to convert and save films to disk it is pretty time consuming, it runs a the medias speed.

http://www.honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-70-deluxe.asp

Edited by OldPhil, 13 April 2014 - 07:41 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Nice find OldPhil... I never knew this existed. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users