Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM fills up nearly full when I upload to YouTube

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

I have an old 2009 GateWay laptop that used to run Windows Vista. When Vista files became corrupted and the computer refused to boot, I made an Ubuntu 13.10 disc and installed it. It has been running great since!

The laptop has only 2GB of total RAM capacity. Normally 300MB or so is always used.

I use my laptop a lot to upload large HD videos to YouTube, and I keep system monitor open to monitor temperatures and things so I don't overwork the system.

I have, however, noticed that when I upload or download files, my used RAM goes from 300 or so MB to over 1.5GB, and after the file transfer is complete, the RAM empties out.

Is this normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Yes, anytime you're working with videos, more RAM is used & when you're through it drops back. Same as any resource intensive task. If this were for your former Vista OS, with 2GB RAM, it would likely not work, the notebook would freeze or BSOD.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Firefox alone uses some 300 meg of ram.

#4 Ubuntu_King

Ubuntu_King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

I unscrewed the bottom of the laptop while back to replace the fan, and I saw that there was an extra space for another RAM piece.

There are two in there now, both with 1GB capacity. In the extra slot, should I go with another 1GB or beef it up to 5+ GB?

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

I unscrewed the bottom of the laptop while back to replace the fan, and I saw that there was an extra space for another RAM piece.

There are two in there now, both with 1GB capacity. In the extra slot, should I go with another 1GB or beef it up to 5+ GB?

Stuff it to the max. You'll find that your PC will run faster as a result of doing so & can perform more tasks if desired,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users