Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU voltage question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi. In my previous thread, I discovered that my graphics card was heating up to extreme temperatures. I was recently wondering how voltage affects it. Using HWMonitor I saw that the voltage readings were 0, and I'm wondering if this is somehow related to my graphics card not functioning well.

A few moths ago I was able to run fairly recent games on medium settings and a decent resolution, but after leaving my computer switched off for a bit more than month because I was away (for the month of November), my computer has been struggling with games from 2003, even on the lowest settings. The only change I made was updating my drivers on the 23rd of October.

I tried dusting it off the cards fan, but there was absolutely no change.

I've attached a screenshot the screenshot.

Some other information from Speccy:

Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 68 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM - 2.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard - Intel Corporation DG31PR (J3E1) 62 °C
Graphics - BenQ FP202W (1680x1050@59Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT (ZOTAC International) 118 °C
Storage - 465GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA) 42 °C
Optical Drives - SONY DVD RW DRU-830A ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

Attached Files

Edited by brc2000, 12 April 2014 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

I'd suspect that the card doesn't have the necessary voltage monitoring output for HWMonitor to read, so is just showing a zero value.  The fact you are getting an image through the card at all suggests it's not getting zero voltage :)  The high temperature does warrant a further look though.

Firstly, visually check the GPU's fan is actually spinning when the PC is on.  If it's not, it's likely the fan has failed and that will cause it to overheat.  If it has failed then you would probably need to fit an aftermarket cooler or replace the card.  One's like this are affordable and should fit an 8500GT.

If it is spinning OK then what you do next depends on the type of cooler.  Some are open, so that you can actually see the heatsink fins.  These are easy to clean up with a duster or compressed air etc..  Others are enclosed in a box type assembly that is designed to draw air in one end and exhaust it through the other.  The box type coolers, because you can't see the heatsink can hide a lot of dust.  You can use compressed air to blow dust out, but to give it a really good clean they need to be taken apart.  To get to the inside of these coolers, you usually need to remove a number of screws and carefully remove it from the card.  It can then be thoroughly cleaned up.  If you remove the cooler, you should clean off any old thermal compound from the GPU chip and cooler using isopropyl alcohol, and apply new thermal compound when putting it back together.  There's plenty of video's on youtube showing examples of how to do it.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users