Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IEI Touch Panel PC Boot Errors - Where to connect keyboard

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 richpc

richpc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Hi All.....New member here. I've spent the last 5 hours searching the web and here and there on several forums, but no luck, so I registered here and checking in for some possible help......

Have had a bunch of pc, workstation, supercomputer and general electronics experience in the past, but my first Panel PC problem just came up today on wife's 4 year old computerized longarm sewing machine. It's made by Handi-Quilter and is a earlier version of this.....Pro-Stitcher  It's out of warranty.

The PC is made by IEI, and is a Model# AFL-08A. I found a good User Guide pdf at their website.....

http://ieiworld.com/...s_UMN_V1.11.pdf

The problem is when it powers up, it gets through a test page of BIOS startup(flashes by to fast to read anything, but got a pic below but very blurry), then about 15 seconds later a MS error box appears with three sequential error windows that 3 files are corrupted. winlogon.exe, services.exe, lsass.exe

Then the screen goes blank and the only thing left is the cursor, which moves around by finger, but nothing else. I'd like to connect a keyboard to it so I can access the startup BIOS, etc. It has 3 Com ports, ports 1 & 2 are for the x-y tables of the machine, and the user guide talks about a Com 3 but there's no reference to which connector it is.

I opened it up, found the SO-DIMM heat sink tilted, removed and fixed that and reseated the card, then removed the Compact Flash and reseated it. Acts the same on several retries as it did when it first failed. Note I used my anti-static strap when I worked inside.

Has anyone had experience with one of these IEI Panel PC's, and any pointers to connecting a keyboard to it. The pdf appears to assume one knows where to connect it, but no help on actually how to. I think either the CF is bad, or some other motherboard failure, or DIMM failure. I'd like to run diags.

IEI Model AFL 08AH-LX24V-HQ T-R/512MB-R11
Windows XP Embedded X11-15305

Some pics below. 

Thanks,
Rich

Attached File  DSCN1151.JPG   93.94KB   1 downloadsAttached File  DSCN1152.JPG   86.44KB   1 downloadsAttached File  DSCN1154.JPG   93.22KB   1 downloadsAttached File  DSCN1162.JPG   67.44KB   1 downloads

Edited by richpc, 12 April 2014 - 08:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

The links you posted give out a 403 forbidden error, at least it does for me.

#3 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hmmm, sorry, here's the URL paths to them without link attributes....Could you try a copy/paste into your browser to see if they work. I have no problems seeing them when I click the links above in the post. Thanks.

http://www.handiquilter.com/machine/HQ_Pro-Stitcher/

http://ieiworld.com/files/file_pool/08245399992741653967/file/AFL-LX-Series_UMN_V1.11.pdf

edit, sorry but when I break the links, they re-create themselves as links, probably in the forum shell s/w.

Edited by richpc, 12 April 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Just looking at the manual, on page 24 it lists 2 external USB ports. Can you connect a USB keyboard or mouse? Not sure if that will work.

Edit: The links to the manual and computer were okay but the picture links I could not get.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

The pictures came through. I can see the two USB external USB ports. I don't have much experience with XP embedded. Have you tried attaching a USB keyboard and mouse as I suggested?

Edit: That last picture showing the corrupted file or directory has me tend to believe the problem is in the CF that has XP installed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#6 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, I just fixed the pictures.

Problem is I don't have a USB keyboard handy, just a serial port type with a old style round type connector and a 9 pin RS232 adapter. I have a USB mouse but I need to hit a DELETE key to active the BIOS status screen. 

I'm still trying to find Com 3 connector on the board. i think that's what's used to talk to the PC when the other 2 com ports are used. On this machine, those other 2 ports connect to servo motors for the x-y motion of the machine when programmed.

One USB port is used for the HQ executable software on a memory stick once the PC is booted, and the other for the user files used for the patterns on a different memory stick. I think the s/w configures those as strictly memory devices.

#7 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

The pictures came through. I can see the two USB external USB ports. I don't have much experience with XP embedded. Have you tried attaching a USB keyboard and mouse as I suggested?

Edit: That last picture showing the corrupted file or directory has me tend to believe the problem is in the CF that has XP installed.

That's what I'm suspecting also. I wish I had some device that I could plug it into to verify it, or connect a bootable hard drive to it to narrow the problem down.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post. Appreciated.

Rich

Edited by richpc, 12 April 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

I am trying to find Com3 but no luck. Do you see any header with 9 pins?

Edit: On page 24, in the upper right near JP3 for Com3 it looks like it could be it. It has 10 pins but your photo only shows 8.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#9 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

The Com 3 configuration jumpers are in the upper right of the board(JP3), and there's a white 6 pin connector next to it silkscreened CN5. To the right of that is a black gang of pins, 8 total, marked CN3. Strange thing is that the Fig 2-1 Connector Overview on pg 24 of the UG doesn't show all connectors, in particular any of the Com ports, let alone Com 3.

The JP3 configuration pic below from the User Guide(pg 58), and a repeat of the upper right corner of the MB. I need a better layout and/or a schematic.

It looks like I'm exceeding the pictures total with that last pic. I thought the 256kb max was per post, not per thread. Hmmm.

Attached File  DSCN1154.JPG   93.22KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN1158.JPG   74.85KB   0 downloads

#10 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

We're typing in unison..... :thumbup2:

You're right, the photo shows 8 but there are ten. The right 2 pins are hiding in the photo near the Phillips screw. That must be Com 3......

Now to figure out the pinout.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

Look for something on the motherboard near the header silk screened as pin 1.

#12 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

The connector pinout silkscreen doesn't make sense.

Upper left is pin 1, upper right is pin 10

Lower left is pin 2, lower right is pin 9

I just took a closeup, but I can't post any more pics for you to see it. I just tried to send you a PM with it, but can't attach in a PM so I cancelled it. I'll add to my website and retry via the IMG process.

edit......Pic below. Now I think the "1" is for the IR1 connector row, the "2" is a goof, and the "1" next to the "2" is the pin 1 for the 10 pin connector. That thick "L" in the lower left is another indicator it's pin "1". 

Well, I have to call in a night anyways, been up since 4:30 AM. Eyes falling.

Thanks again,

Rich

DSCN1174.JPG

Edited by richpc, 12 April 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

See this page.

http://superuser.com/questions/627922/how-to-wire-the-lpt-and-com-port-headers-on-a-motherboard

serial.gif

Edit: I will be gone until tomorrow. Good Luck.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 April 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#14 richpc

richpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

John, That's great info, thanks. It's all coming back to me now. I've been out of the industry for a while but I used to do this stuff all the time in the past.

I found a 10-pin ribbon cable connector in my stash of old stuff, but.......it won't fit over the pins on the MB. It hits the white connector to it's left. I could kludge something up with some individual female pins and make an adapter to the kybd round connector. I hate to give up.

I'm going to look at some of the other docs on the IEI website. Maybe one of the other MB models has more info. I'd bet the IEI test folks have some special connector they made up for this Com 3 port for access and final test, or simply access it with a bed-of-nails in-circuit tester......Hmmm, I used to build, program, and fix those too. Teradyne, Genrad, Marconi, etc.

Thanks to you I've gotten much further than I thought I would. Kudos....... :thumbsup2: 

Rich

#15 lti

lti

• Members
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

If that old keyboard really supports RS-232, you could try connecting it to the port closest to the power switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users