Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debian OS on a thumb drive, Windows says is unformatted

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

I recently installed Debian Linux to a flash drive - which was time consuming, but successful. With the thumb drive in the USB slot, I can boot into either Debian Linux or Windows XP (which I already had) thanks to the GRUB boot manger.

However, while in Windows, it doesn't seem like I will be able to either: move files to the thumb drive, or take files off of said drive, because Windows claims said drive is unformatted. Is there a way around this?

I had hoped to do the bulk of my operating in Windows still, since I am familiar with it, but do internet stuff via my Linux thumb drive. I had hoped I could keep my hard drives un-mounted (and completely inaccessible) while operating Linux. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

However, while in Windows, it doesn't seem like I will be able to either: move files to the thumb drive, or take files off of said drive, because Windows claims said drive is unformatted. Is there a way around this?

To bypass this create a partition on the USB and make it FAT or NTFS and move the doccuments Music Vids etc there.

Windows cant read  EXT drives or some such nonsense.

Thats Windows for you LOL.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 April 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

My recent experience has led me to believe that Windows XP at least (possibly other OS's as well) doesn't recognize partitions beyond the 1st one on removable drives (or at least on thumb drives).

To explain- I attempted to install a Live version of openSuse to this same thumb drive yesterday. The program that was supposed to write the .iso file I d/l'd to my thumb drive, ended up writing something that was non-bootable. It also partitioned the thumb drive, which led to a great deal of consternation on my part because I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden my thumb drive was only 900 mb large, when it was supposed to be 16 gb large.  

The explanation was apparently, that at least in Windows XP, anything not in the 1st partition on a thumb drive is inaccessible. Even formatting didn't help, because only the 900 mb partition would get formatted, and the rest of the drive would remain inaccessible. I finally found a Hewlett Packard formatting utility (via internet searching) that would just do a 'dumb' format on my USB drive (ignoring any partition set-up that was already existing) and got my thumb drive 'right-sized' again.

So, to make a long story short, I am not optimistic that adding a partition to my thumb drive will help because I don't expect Windows to 'see' it.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

So, to make a long story short, I am not optimistic that adding a partition to my thumb drive will help because I don't expect Windows to 'see' it.

My recent experience has led me to believe that Windows XP at least (possibly other OS's as well) doesn't recognize partitions beyond the 1st one on removable drives (or at least on thumb drives).

I do not know about XP but I seem to remember Windslow7 could. I may be wrong here and forgot. I am old lol.

No Idea I do not use Windslow OS.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 April 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

well, installing Debian wasn't exactly quick- I'd say it took about 3 hours. I was hoping for a quick fix to this, but there may not be one. I will see how easy/difficult it is to do these file transfers in Linux- if mounting my HD is close to the last thing I do (to facilitate said file transfers) while operating in Linux, that may not be so bad. Essentially, I'd just like to d/l the occasional program and upload a few small files daily that will get attached to outgoing e-mails.

I don't remember Debian install program giving me an option of what filesystem to use- I've read that at least some versions of Linux are happy on a Fat32 drive, Debian might not be one of them.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

You could just save the files to C/whatever/Documents on the XP pc then both systems could see it.

Or create a partition on the HARD DRIVE say 10 gig. And store the files that way. Or use a USB  drive.

3 hours OMG.

There are many other distros out there.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 April 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

3 hours OMG.

Debian install has many options. Even so, I was surprised, Ubuntu installed much quicker when I test drove it.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Humor me.

Try this burn the iso to cd or dvd.Then boot from cd/dvd. when you shut down puppy do not worry about creating a save file for now.

This is just 1 of the super fast puppy linux distros. Try it. If you find you like Puppy I can point you to a 3.8 GB puppy that will make any Windslow system seem like its PRE HISTORIC. All puppies run in ram only DO NOT WORRY your pc will run it just fine.

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso

Edited by NickAu1, 12 April 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

d/l'ng, it will probably be a day or two before I test drive it though.

I have always been meaning to try out Puppy Linux but I want to at least have a feel for what 'standard' Linux distros are like beforehand. I am not adverse to joining the herd (puppy herd, penguin herd, whatever), I just want to have an idea of what my options are.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Just look out for the whiplash puppies are that fast.

Also. Do not judge puppy boot times if you are booting from cd/dvd as live only.

The avarage puppy installed to USB or with a save file will boot in like under a minute.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 April 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#11 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

as a note: I do not recommend anyone else try what I did- install a non-live system to a thumb drive when you already have an operating OS. This is because the GRUB bootloader (that was installed with Debian) will over-write the bootsector of your hard drive with it's own program and you will only be able to boot with the thumb drive plugged into your computer. In other words, if I had lost my thumb drive, I might have been screwed (although I might have been able to plug any thumb drive in to boot Windows, I'm not sure).

I have since fixed the MBR on my primary hard drive, and erased my thumb drive. The next Linux experiment will probably be Puppy Linux, Live from a CD and see if I can d/l stuff to the thumb drive.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Try these out.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9449

http://www.spicytricks.com/tips/access-linux-partition-windows-7-8-xp

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-access-linux-partitions-ext2-ext3-from-windows-in-dual-boot-system/

Hope that at least one of these helps.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users