Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where's my Nvidia Control Panel gone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

It's always been accessed on my other PC's over the years by right-clicking the Desktop but I've just bought a new PC with Win 7 and a Nvidia GTX 770 card, but r-clicking Desktop doesn't bring it up.

I've rummaged around in the Nvidia file in the Program Files folder but have drawn a blank.

I need it to fine-tune my display settings etc (sniffle) 

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 12 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

When you go to Control Panel, select icons instead of category view. Do you see the Nvidia icon?

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Yes thanks the icons there but when I click it this message comes up-

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.

Check your computers system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or 64 (64-bit) version of the program, then contact the software publisher"

All that's meaningless to me, I'm just a grunt wargamer/flight simmer.

A main reason i need the Nvidia control panel is because there's a magic button in there that allows us to adjust resolution without stretching or squashing the picture.

My rig-

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40Ghz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 16384 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Approx total memory: 4038MB
DirectX 11

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

I would uninstall the Nvidia Geforce Drivers in Control Panel. Don't delete your other Nvidia drivers if you have them. Install the latest Geforce driver for Windows 7 64bit here. Support for GeForce GTX 770

You may want to also download the release notes.

nTune
If you have previously installed NVIDIA nTune, NVIDIA recommends that you uninstall
nTune before installing this driver. After the driver install is complete, you can reinstall
NVIDIA nTune.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Thanks guys, Nvidia support sent me instructions and it worked,  i've now got my Nvidia Control Panel back for my GTX 770 card..:)-

Here are the instructions if anybody else has the same problem-

1- boot in safe mode

2- delete the Nvidia folder in C:

3- uninstall the GTX 770 driver via Device Manager

4- reboot in normal mode

5- Go to 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/74636/en-us

6- run setup.exe file

7- choose custom installation and click next

8- check all the boxes in the custom install options windows and also check the box which states "perform clean install"

9- restart your computer

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

thanks for the procedure sequence. this is a common theme, video drivers locking up the data flow.

something bizarre that i see from time to time, nvidia or amd drivers just can't seem to tweak into a functional sweet spot, low and behold, the user deletes all the drivers and lets win7 or win8 go to device default and whammo, the card runs like a champ.   even though that isn't what is most desirable, if it gets the card back in order that must be a grand relief!

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users