Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Wave Slider goes down by itself

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mondotti

mondotti

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Greetings,

Just as the title says: The wave slider goes down by itself causing me to lose all volume. I have an HP computer with integrated sound card using the Sound max driver. Its running on WIN XP pro SP3, I have already tried uninstalling an re-installing the drivers for the hardware with no luck.

I have Symantec Endpoint protection Malware bytes, have run both with nothing turning up. I have run combo fix in conjunction with rougue killer and rkill per an older post I had found on this site.

After doing so the sound returned and remained on until I reconnected my internet ( I always unplug the ethernet cable after running programs that remove malware in oder to do a baseline of performance before and after connecting once the clening tools are run).

All other programs and performance seem to remain uneffected.

As soon as I connected to the internet the problem returned leading me to believe I have something that has a strong hold.

I looked at the process moniter and kept checing when it occured in relation to processes running and what I saw was just a generic svchost process that runs when this happens. I can then reset the Wave slide and observe the same result over and over.

I repeated the malware steps above to confirm my results and am now at a point where I would just rather cut my loses and reinstall windows and everything else..

Any suggestions on what I could do otherwise would be appreciated otherwise its format C:\ and install

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hello having run ComboFix and rogueKiller on your own we need to see thse logs,but in a new topic.

here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mondotti

mondotti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

After some verification and testing I see that I was wrong in that Combo Fix and Roguekiller found nothing and did nothing to affect the status as was also the case with Malwarebytes and Symantec scans.

What I verified is that, after a reboot and disconnect from the internet, the problem goes away. Once I connect the device to the internet, the problem immediately returns.

To be clear, I am just trying to verify, in light of the new information I have provided, is your advice the same?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

If you have an XP disk we can try a file repair.

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from this site

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.

Go to Step 2 and click on Check button next to 1. See If Check Disk Is Needed.
If the tool that the Check Disk is needed click on Do It button next to 2. Check Disk.
In that case make sure you restart computer.

p22004342.gif

Once the above is done go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22004343.gif

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22004346.gif

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Leave all checkmarks as they're.
NOTE for Windows 8 users. Reset Registry Permissions is NOT checked by design.

Click on Start button.

p22004347.gif

Post Windows Repair log which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mondotti

mondotti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for your reply!

I was following another post with the same problem, same OS and same Audio driver.

Per this post (link below) I saw your reply and I already performed these steps last night and it worked! 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531680/win-xp-wave-slider-keeps-muting-by-itself/

Thanks much for your help!

Best regards,

Matt

Edited by mondotti, 29 April 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Great!! go back to that topic and do the last post now.>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users