Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win. XP - Win7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dehoo

dehoo

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

I have a question in regards to "upgrading" from Windows xp to Windows 7.

My desk top xp machine (loved and used daily) as we all know, no longer receives support.  I have a lap top (used somewhat) with Windows 7.  My question is, can I use my Lap Tops win7 recovery disc and install win7 on my desk top?

I have my win7 product key and would much prefer to always use my desk top machine however a lap top is always nice on

the run.  I have run an advisor check and I can run win 7 on my desk top.

If anyone can please let me know if this is "Do-able" I would appreciate it, or is it as easy as down loading win7 and use my product key from lap top?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

If the laptop came with Window 7 pre-installed then it's an OEM installation and can only be used on that machine and no other.  If you purchased Windows 7 separately and installed it on the laptop then I suppose it is possible to remove it from the laptop and install it on the desktop.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

My question is, can I use my Lap Tops win7 recovery disc and install win7 on my desk top?

No! If I'm reading your post correctly, you're speaking of a reinstallation DVD, rather than a Windows 7 install one.

It won't activate & you'll have a black screen with a watermark in the lower right hand of the monitor in no time after reboot. Depending on where you reside, you may be able to buy a OEM copy of Windows 7, which will be good only for the machine that you initially install it on. In the US, there's Newegg, where I recently received a promo email for Windows 7 Home Premium OEM for $85.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Thank you both for your replies.  I thought as much.  It looks like I will have to bite the bullet and purchase another copy for this machine.  Any advice on the install?  I heard that there is a program that will assist you in this to make it very easy.  Apparently all you do is install the program and then it prompts you for your Win 7 disk and it does it all for you, programs and all....Sounds too easy to me however, I do not know the name or where to purchase this.

All help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Sounds too easy to me however, I do not know the name or where to purchase this.

Depends on where you live. In the US, Newegg is a reliable source. In Canada, there's Canada Computers.

Any advice on the install?

Gather as many Windows 7 drivers before the install, as well as any 3rd party software installer files, plus any keys, if needed. Depending on the age of the computer, Vista drivers may be used if Windows 7 ones aren't available.

Once you have these things, boot with the Windows 7 media, format any partitions on the drive, then delete them. A clean install will run much better than an upgrade. When you say...

it prompts you for your Win 7 disk and it does it all for you, programs and all....

this means an upgrade, rather than a clean install. Which isn't even doable with OEM media, you need Upgrade media & key for this type of install. It may be hard to find.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

Also make sure that the hardware on your computer will work with Windows 7.  Not all computers running XP can.  Mine, for example, cannot run Windows 7.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Down load the test!!   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

+1!

After that, before committing to purchase, Windows 7 can be downloaded & used for 30 days w/out activation. This lets one know for sure that 7 will run on the computer. It may also save some cash, as once that OEM version is activated, it's value has sank to zero, as it cannot be resold & activated onto another computer (legally).

Google search "Windows 7 Digital River Download" w/out the quotes (the official source), links will be provided for your area. Don't mess with any torrent links, those are illegal & prone to installing malware on your computer.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 April 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#9 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thank you very much everyone!  Great help and advice.

Last question, What do you all think about ubuntu? I do not know anyone that has this OS, however there is alot of possitive internet comments on this.

Free, offers much, looks good....Hmmmm.

Thanks

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Going off into the various Linux OS's is a decent idea, I have not tried it but have a couple of buds that have been in it since before I got grey hair.  There seems to be less hacking but a learning curve, I suspect the learning curve is probably less than 8.  An idea might be to buy another HD and do some experimenting, having an older machine you may be due for one anyway.  A plus is you will still have your XP drive intact.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 14 April 2014 - 06:10 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Last question, What do you all think about ubuntu? I do not know anyone that has this OS, however there is alot of possitive internet comments on this.

Linux Mint is far closer to a Windows XP replacement than Ubuntu is. Five years ago, I wouldn't have stated that, as the Start Menu was simple, things were easy to access. Canoncial has turned the latest versions of Ubuntu into something similar to Windows 8, with only a few most used options to the left of the monitor. Everything else, you have to search for.

That is one of the largest reasons why Mint users outnumbers Ubuntu ones by a 2 to 1 margin. Canoncial went crazy with the sudden changes to Ubuntu & many defected. Still, Ubuntu is the #2 most Linux distro used today.

Cat

#12 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone, Food for thought.  At this point it is a coin toss on which way to go.  I will let you know the outcome when it happens....hopefully...

Thanks again, lots of great insight and advice.

dehoo

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

You're quite welcome! Hope to hear back from you soon, once you settle on something.

Should you need additional input along the way, we're here.

All the Best,

Cat

#14 DEScottzz

DEScottzz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

If you have the hardware and software to do so, I would seriously consider cloning the hard drive on your current system, so that you can go back to XP for a short time in case you run into any snags. 

I had one upgrade license knocking around from when I bought a three-pack a couple years ago. In my experience, with that kind of license, there were some snags in the activation process, so I had to go back and boot from the cloned XP drive and do it all over again following slightly different rules during the installation. (This wasn't too hard for me, since my case has a hot swap drive bay in front.)

That reminds me of one other thing: my understanding is that XP doesn't support Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI). From what I understand, it's faster and more reliable to run that way, so you should find the BIOS setting and change it before you upgrade.

One final thought: if your system is pretty old, you might be able to replace it for not much more than the price of a Win7 license. Something like this 4 to 5 year old HP system for $100 with Win7 home premium might be just the ticket. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883280004

I bought something like this to replace two older XP systems at church. (Then you could experiment with Linux on your old system.)

I'm new here, so I trust that if I've said anything stupid, someone smarter than me will chime in.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Yes, Newegg frequently has these choices available, if I needed a computer would have jumped on it myself.

There's no reason to be stuck on an old XP powered computer anymore, given the choices available. If one purchases one of these computers, be sure to create a system image upon receiving it & updating, so that there's a known working backup to fall back on when needed.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users