Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoscape download has PUP.opencandy?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pollyparrot

pollyparrot

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi, I was wondering if someone could advise me please. I wanted to download a free photo editor, I don't really edit many photos so it was just to see if I could unblur some and play around with it really. I am running Win 7, security software:avast,MBAM and sandboxie, really happy with this set up. I went to download.com and brothersoft to try photoscape but after recovery from the sandbox and scanned with MBAM, it picked up opencandy which I think is adware? This happened from both places, I obviously deleted via MBAM. Avast didn't pick this up. Can anyone advise a clean download of photscape please or whether I am doing something wrong?

Many Thanks

"Only two things are infinite:The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the former."-Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

It's almost impossible to find 'clean' freeware downloads anymore. But you can try here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/photoscape.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

www.toolpic.com

Edited.

A member informed me the link was dead. Fixed.

Edited by NickAu, 12 October 2015 - 06:00 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 pollyparrot

pollyparrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

Thank you so much to both, will have a bash at the online version and have a look at the link provided too, great advice as always! :)

"Only two things are infinite:The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the former."-Einstein

#5 pollyparrot

pollyparrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi just to let you know the majorgeeks one also has opencandy bundled in so I think its across the board for photoscape :/ thanks so much though, Im going to try the online one :)

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thank you for the information. I guess nothing is sacred anymore.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Sadly this is a sign of the times, There is almost no such thing as "free" software for Windows OS.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Polly, you might take a look at these trusted download sites for  Photoscape 3.6.5.

FileHippo.com

oldapps.com

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#9 67Nero

67Nero

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Instead of using Photoscape, would GIMP do?

I myself find GIMP a really nice program for my graphical "work".

trace.

Signature500x83_zps94555895.png

#10 pollyparrot

pollyparrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

I know Windows OS is a pain at times :( I did try Ubuntu at one stage but its just not for me Im too daft lol Im just so glad I found this site for the security I have set up on the computer because I was utterly useless before!

I will have a look at the sites suggested thanks!

I will also take a look at GIMP, it has to be fairly simple to use and its more a casual "whim" I just took some pictures that needed some editing rather than serious graphical work, thank you for all the replies though.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

...it has to be fairly simple to use and its more a casual "whim" I just took some pictures that needed some editing rather than serious graphical work, thank you for all the replies though.

GIMP can be challenging to learn.  Instead, try the portable version of PhotoFiltre (i.e. the 2nd download link) and if you don't like it just delete it, no need to uninstall. 

#12 Thorbeast

Thorbeast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

AVG Free 2015 will automatically pop up with a warning about Open Candy when you are installing something that has it hidden in the installer. From this you can choose Protect Me, and AVG will remove Open Candy while not affecting the program you are trying to install.

2 programs that come to mind that now come with Open Candy are

Photoscape

and

CDBurnerXP (you can get a Open Candy free download from their download page, but the default installer has Open Candy in it)

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

When you do find a clean installer exe file for the program you desire, make sure it is an offline installer and save a copy of it on a USB stick. That way when you want to install the program on another machine (or need to reinstall it on the same machine for some reason ro another) you can run the offline installer exe file and never again worry about trying to find a download source for the program, as you'll already have an installer for it which works and as long as that installer is an offline one it should work on most machines under any conditions.

Edited by rp88, 17 April 2015 - 11:38 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:28 AM

DEAD COMPUTERS CAN TELL NO LIES and give those babys a bib

The best thing and favor you can do your self is get a extra XP mechine for $ nothing almost any where and

clear the "my documents" disk drive files, and you can down load all this brave new world, pee down your leg and tell you its raining pervert ware you want..................... and then disconnect the mechine from the net.

And use it all you want.

Then all this invasive psychotic " i am your friend ware, see it's free" is rendered absolutly harm less.

especially "picasa" edit, a atomic form of "OpenCandy" another baby drool ware that raids your whole computer from the infant unchanged diapers at GOOGLE.

you think knowing in the back of your mind using a "NETTED"  computer does not bother you-

oh god the blessed relief of knowing, for the first time in your life, your computer has the needle out of its arm and is yours, and with all that free stuff, tons of free stuff, and it is harmless to molest, then add free """Batch Purifier""" to wipe clean all your editing source marks, bugs  and codes, dump to a flash and up load to the slimy out of control thing STILL plugged in to the "Gansta-net"

jimbotoo :hello:

Edited by jimbotoo, 24 April 2015 - 12:37 AM.

#15 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

AVG Free 2015 will automatically pop up with a warning about Open Candy when you are installing something that has it hidden in the installer. From this you can choose Protect Me, and AVG will remove Open Candy while not affecting the program you are trying to install.

2 programs that come to mind that now come with Open Candy are

Photoscape

and

CDBurnerXP (you can get a Open Candy free download from their download page, but the default installer has Open Candy in it)

HI Thorbeast

can that avg device be used without over riding your advast anti virus, I mean as a stand alone to be turned on and off as not to conflect with another anti virus

PS their site directed me to C-NET for down loading, who will pup you the moment you down load

thanks jimbotoo

Edited by jimbotoo, 24 April 2015 - 12:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users