Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java for user of IE 64 bit and Chrome

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flicksoccer

flicksoccer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

I have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit version of IE.  My kids play minecraft which recommends using the 64 bit version of java, but I like to browse on chrome which is 32 bit.  Looking at the Java site it appears to be one or the other.  Any suggestions on how I can rectify this issue?

Thanks,

flicksoccer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

Are you sure you want to browse with java enabled In light of the recent events surrounding Java that is constantly target by malware?
Something to read: Users must seriously consider their use of Java.

If you really need java in the browser you need to install the 32 bit version because like you said Chrome is 32 bits, visit the page here to download the off-line version the file will not include any unneeded extras like the ASK Toolbar. When java is installed its extremely important to update immediately when you get a notification pop-up from the Java Updater.

Edited by SleepyDude, 12 April 2014 - 11:20 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

I have a 64 bit OS and 64 bit version of IE.  My kids play minecraft which recommends using the 64 bit version of java, but I like to browse on chrome which is 32 bit.  Looking at the Java site it appears to be one or the other.  Any suggestions on how I can rectify this issue?

Thanks,

flicksoccer

The assumption that Java is still needed for web surfing is erroneous and outdated. It's just not true. These days Java is used mainly in games. Most websites don't use Java anymore.

#4 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

If you need  to run Java, I recommend you use the freeware version of Heimdal to keep it updated daily.

Read what the World Champions in Hacking have to say about Heimdal Security Agent.

https://www.heimdalagent.com/en/keep-the-hackers-at-bay

https://www.heimdalagent.com/en/features

A review of Heimdal can be found here.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/heimdal-agent-keeps-vital-software-up-to-date-preventing-driveby-attacks/

#5 flicksoccer

flicksoccer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Based on the comments above I've disabled Java in IE and Chrome as a trial run to see how different the experience is for the family.  If it's not too different I'll uninstall it.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Based on the comments above I've disabled Java in IE and Chrome as a trial run to see how different the experience is for the family.  If it's not too different I'll uninstall it.

Hi,

Good choice in my opinion. Don't forget that if you decide to uninstall java, remove only the 32 bits version or minecraft will stop working!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users