Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What should be removed from a HP Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

I unsuccessfully tried to perform a fresh Windows install on a HP laptop without using the HP factory disk, but had driver problems (see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529653/no-ethernet-on-fresh-install-for-hp-pavilion-dv7/ for history).

I've since re-built the PC using the factory HP disk.   next want to remove everything that is not absolutely necessary.

I've removed all HP specific software.  Bad idea?

I removed Bing.

I installed Comcast Norton which removed an existing version of Norton (When runing the HP disk, I said not to install Norton, but it appearantly did anyway).

I thought a promotion version of MS Office should have been installed, but appearantly it wasn't.

Please confirm that removing the HP software won't cause me too much hardship, and whether I should remove other problems.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

I have an HP laptop and ALWAYS uninstall all HP programs which get put back on when reinstalling Windows.

Removing them will cause you no problems. Most are "utilities" that you may never use.

I also uninstall the Norton and Office trials, Evernote, Bing, Adobe Reader because I use a different program for .pdf files,  

Here is a list of what gets uninstalled by me. Not listed is HP Games which also goes bye bye. If in doubt about something simply open it up and see if it is something you want to/might use.

hp-removed1.png

hp-removed2.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 April 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

I forgot to mention that most likely you said no to actually installing Norton. By saying NO it still installed the option for the trial version, which had you wanted to use would mean that you click Norton and thus begin the install process.

#4 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Queen-Evie,

Also had this 3D disk drive as well as HP Software Manager.

This is what I have left (the HP stuff is from the printer I just installed).

Anything else to waste out?

Thanks

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users