Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JohnBob123

JohnBob123

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hi, all. I am using Windows XP SP 3 and went to my externally-connected internal HDD via a USB dock. For some reason it said one folder, "Logs", was
corrupt and unreadable, so I did CHKDSK /F and here are the results:

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 25.
Inserting an index entry into index $O of file 25.
Deleting index entry Logs in index $I30 of file 5.
Deleting index entry MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase in index $I30 of file

Deleting index entry MOUNTP~1 in index $I30 of file 27.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
Recovering orphaned file SYSTEM~1 (27) into directory file 5.
Recovering orphaned file System Volume Information (27) into directory file

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

536869884 KB total disk space.
14573740 KB in 8 files.
20 KB in 16 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
82376 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
522213748 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
134217471 total allocation units on disk.
130553437 allocation units available on disk.

Gladly it found files in the "Logs" folder and placed them in a folder inside \found.000\ This is a brand new HDD that I had stored for a few weeks before I started using it. Obviously I don't want there to be any physical errors generally, but especially so since it is so new. Since it says "0 KB in bad sectors.", am I correct in thinking it was a file problem that was corrupt, and NOT the physical disk platter?

Thanks.

P.S. Can someone fix the formatting on here? I type my post in Notepad first then copypasta into here, and it looks like this.
P.P.S. I know support for XP has been stopped. That is not my question here.

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2014 - 05:03 PM.
Fixed :) - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but did you scan your XP drive or the external drive?

#3 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

externally-connected

internal HDD via a USB dock.

It's an internal drive connected externally via a USB dock.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,969 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Don't worry about the formatting - your post is perfectly understandable. I sometimes draft a reply in Word and, because I use an uncommon but normal serif font as default, it comes up here two sizes smaller and in italics !

Your hard drive looks perfectly OK to me, the only problems reported were corrupted files. I think it was either set up to be used with Linux as well as Windows or it has been used in a Linux system.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Don't worry about the formatting - your post is perfectly understandable. I sometimes draft a reply in Word and, because I use an uncommon but normal serif font as default, it comes up here two sizes smaller and in italics !

Your hard drive looks perfectly OK to me, the only problems reported were corrupted files. I think it was either set up to be used with Linux as well as Windows or it has been used in a Linux system.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks.

I haven't used it with Linux yet, but I did format the drive with MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.5. I'm glad it was only a file error, and not the physical disk which I know checkdisk can also check.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Just to clarify...any errors/situations encountered/logged by chkdsk...all have to do with the file system of the partition/drive.  The chkdsk command is a file system tool, it's only concerned with bad sectors on the partition/drive because such as they exist on the partition/drive...tend to screw up the file system.

Bad sectors are a possible indication that the hard drive...on which the file system is placed...may be contributing to the file system errors detected by the chkdsk  command.

If you want assurance that your hard drive (not the file system) is OK, you need to run an appropriate hard drive diagnostic tool, not the chkdsk command.

Louis

#7 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

...Just FYI, and just as a general reference while using chkdsk commands and switches in the future:

You might want to use the /r switch (instead of using /f)...as it not only fixes bad sectors on the disc, but it also tries to recover readable information (however successful it might be). The /r switch already implies the /f switch, and so both switches are run that way. :wink:

It may take slightly longer to run the /r switch, but the difference in completion time is mostly negligible.

bloopie

#8 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Just to clarify...any errors/situations encountered/logged by chkdsk...all have to do with the file system of the partition/drive.  The chkdsk command is a file system tool, it's only concerned with bad sectors on the partition/drive because such as they exist on the partition/drive...tend to screw up the file system.

Bad sectors are a possible indication that the hard drive...on which the file system is placed...may be contributing to the file system errors detected by the chkdsk  command.

If you want assurance that your hard drive (not the file system) is OK, you need to run an appropriate hard drive diagnostic tool, not the chkdsk command.

Louis

Hmmm. I thought Check Disk also checks the physical disk, for example if you choose the /R switch, which has 5 stages and takes much longer than the /F or /X switches. Might you know any tools I can use, or would they be hardware tools that I can't afford?

Thanks.

...Just FYI, and just as a general reference while using chkdsk commands and switches in the future:

You might want to use the /r switch (instead of using /f)...as it not only fixes bad sectors on the disc, but it also tries to recover readable information (however successful it might be). The /r switch already implies the /f switch, and so both switches are run that way. :wink:

It may take slightly longer to run the /r switch, but the difference in completion time is mostly negligible.

bloopie

Oh. I already know about the /R switch obviously, lol; and to contradict what you said the time it takes to complete, as I said above, is much longer noticeably.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

P.S. Can someone fix the formatting on here? I type my post in Notepad first then copypasta into here, and it looks like this.

From your first post you asked this question. I do not think it was fully answered.

Open Notepad and check the "Format" option. Are there any ticks there, if so Untick them.

Your 2 options are usually Word Wrap or Font depending on your computer. You seem to have the Word Wrap ticked.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Chkdsk...only conerns itself with the partition.  The structure of the partition, the file structure of the partition, the files in the partition.  It checks for bad sectors (chkdsk /r)because files may be on bad sectors...which will make for an irritating situation eventually because the file won't be able to be read/used properly.  Anything outside the partition being checked...chkdsk is unconcerned with.  If the partition is the size of the entire hard drive...it checks the partition/drive.  If the partition is only 1/2 the hard drive size...it checks the half of the drive which contains the partition being checked.

There are various utilities which can be used to check the hard drive functionality.  Links to one tool are below.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#11 JohnBob123

JohnBob123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

From your first post you asked this question. I do not think it was fully answered.
Open Notepad and check the "Format" option. Are there any ticks there, if so Untick them.

Your 2 options are usually Word Wrap or Font depending on your computer. You seem to have the Word Wrap ticked.

Not having it on would mean I would have to scroll back and forth; that's the point of having it on. It doesn't give me problems with other sites and forums. Obviously I do the same thing on other sites and forums, but the problem is only here.

Chkdsk...only conerns itself with the partition.  The structure of the partition, the file structure of the partition, the files in the partition.  It checks for bad sectors (chkdsk /r)because files may be on bad sectors...which will make for an irritating situation eventually because the file won't be able to be read/used properly.  Anything outside the partition being checked...chkdsk is unconcerned with.  If the partition is the size of the entire hard drive...it checks the partition/drive.  If the partition is only 1/2 the hard drive size...it checks the half of the drive which contains the partition being checked.

I know. I do it often.

There are various utilities which can be used to check the hard drive functionality.  Links to one tool are below.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

Thanks. And what is this stupid " " crap? I never type that. No-one would ever type that.

#12 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

On subject of post format- I was looking through the software hosted here at bleepingcomputer, and I stumbled across a bbcode editor http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bbeditor/

I haven't downloaded it, so I can't vouch for it.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Even I needed to visit Internetslang.com for the meaning.
What does NBSP mean? &nbsp
 This is a good web page dedicated to explaining the meaning of NBSP (NBSP acronym/abbreviation/slang word).
NBSP Definition / NBSP Means
The definition of NBSP is "No Bull S**t Please" or "Non-Breaking Space" (No Gap)
YW
If you read the Forum Rules, we do ask that these types of short-cuts be kept to a minimum (AFAK)
(As Far As I Know) A common addition by a certain Moderator (and I will be told off for that) -  :devil:

What is YW? 
YW is "You're Welcome"

Now you also know why the Forum Rules ask for "limited short-cuts" -

Just do not quote "all" of the posts, and add at least a single line between them.

#14 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hello yu gnomi,

On subject of post format- I was looking through the software hosted here at bleepingcomputer, and I stumbled across a bbcode editor http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bbeditor/

I haven't downloaded it, so I can't vouch for it.

I will certainly vouch for the bbeditor! I've used it extensively while I was in training to be a malware fighter, and the tools' author has been updating it ever since it's introduction here.

There is nothing to worry about with the bbeditor, so feel free to enjoy it's editing capability! :)

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users