Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new all-purpose laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Hi everyone. I've been wanting to get a new laptop now that I have some extra money to spend. Here is what I'm looking for.

My budget for the new computer is: 

Around $1000 to $1500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

I spend a lot of time on my computer. I manage a website, watch videos, play games, web browse. I also plan on doing some video editing for YouTube. Nothing major but I would like the laptop to be able to handle this.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

Video editing software. Marketing research tools such as Micro Niche Finder, Traffic Travis.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

Only World of Warcraft occasionally. I would like a decent video card in case I decide to try a newer game.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

I'm a big multi-tasker. 

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

No. I don't think I've even used more than about 150 gigs ever.

I appreciate any advice you can send my way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

Not sure if you are in the market for something kinda flashy or not - but the Alienware 14 is a solid machine, well made, runs cool, and does what you ask. Get the 1080P display, and 765GTX and you should be happy. You will have to go through a third party these days to get it how you want... xoticpc is a good place to start.

If you aren't looking for anything that big/flashy, check out the Lenovo Y510. SLI 755's, 1080P display, and a nice small machine for about $1,000. Not a bad deal of a machine.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#3 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Waldo,

I thought of a few other things that I should have mentioned before.

I will use the laptop a lot like a desktop. It won't move every day so weight isn't an issue. I just have to be able to take it with me when I travel.

I do want a big screen. I think my current laptop has a 17 or 17.3 inch screen.

I prefer Intel and think I want the i7 processor.

I am not a big fan of Dell

Thanks again

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

You could check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ I bought a laptop from them last year and it's been a good one, no problems at all. :thumbup2:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

If you are going to use it as a desk top why not get a desk top?  You will have much more overall flexibility if you wish to upgrade, a lot less worries about any kind of service issues.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

I have to be able to relocate quickly and it is often for only a week or two at a time.

#7 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

What do you think about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630

Is there a similar option that is better?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

What do you think about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231630

Is there a similar option that is better?

Not sure!  But I am sure of the quality of that line they do a good job, that will be a rocket that you will enjoy.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users