Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Da Vinci Debate...

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

I watched on tv the other night about the de vinci code and was surprised at the all the educated people who seemed to have been studing this "code"...IMHO...I'm not sure I totally understand the concept of the code but from what I gather it is about the Bible and some hidden messages found inside...what I noticed about the whole thing was that they had to use this code with something called a "matrix", which are not standardized parameters but different for each subject they wanted to know...it just seems to me that they could take any phone book in the world add a "matrix" to it and get the answers they are looking for or any book with thousands of pages in it...I'm not a religious fanatic, although I do believe there is a higher power governing this world, I just think it's not a good thing to be disecting the Bible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

I've seen a lot of stuff about it (never read the book, dunno if i'm going to see the movie), and i'm not sure i quite understand it. I've watched bits and pieces on the discovery channel and national geographic, and it seemed like they were reaching "out there" to find some of the stuff.....

Idk, maybe if i payed more attention to it, it would make more sense to me (duh). I have some friends that work at the movie theater, so the only way i'd see the movie is if i could get them to let me in sans-fee :thumbsup:

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

FICTION

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

So, i'm assuming that since you displayed that awesome indoubitable declaration of "FICTION", you fully understand the reasoning and logic behind the da vinci code, and would be able to disprove, without a doubt, the meanings behind it?

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 19 May 2006 - 01:40 PM.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

it just seems to me that they could take any phone book in the world add a "matrix" to it and get the answers they are looking for or any book with thousands of pages in it.

You are correct.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:00 PM

I haven't seen the movie or read the book. I have seen shows on the discovery channel about a possible bible code. the theory is that the bible has prophecies hidden in the text. there is a multinational research project in Israel that claims to have unlocked the code using mathematics. Using the math formula (or matrix) they have developed you can input a person's name or an event and the matrix does a letter search of the bible based on the letters in the person's name or the letters in the events description. While interesting if it is legitimate, I doubt the accuracy. The answers that were generated were vague at best.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#7 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

I'd have to say fiction, although I think it is very cleverly thought out. Perhaps he based it on slight shards of truth, but I think he elaborated on it, drawing it away from what was the original truth.
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

I've read the book twice (hard to understand with a first read at my age)
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie too....Fiction? Isn't Mission Impossible
fiction? How about "The Wizard Of Oz"? It's a movie for crying out loud. Take it
for what it's worth..Does it make you think? I certainly would hope so. Make you
change your faith? If it does, you didn't have much faith to begin with.
My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

#9 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Well spoken Joe883. I
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#10 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

Of course it's fiction! The author doesn't claim otherwise.
I've read it (and his other books) and they are all fiction, very entertaining, and gripping good page-turners!
I intend to see the film tomorrow, although the reviews over here are not brilliant.
I have a few hours to waste in central London and think that going to the cinema will just do nicely!

Luci2a

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

It's a movie for crying out loud. Take it
for what it's worth..

Exactly..this is complete fiction with historical influences. Nothing more and nothing less.

Great book though.

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Exactly..this is complete fiction with historical influences. Nothing more and nothing less.

Great book though.

Well said...

I have read the book and look forward to enjoying the movie. For those who haven't read the book yet, I highly recommend it. It was a great read.

ps...

I have read several of Brown's books. If you liked the Da Vinci Code Take a look at Angels and Demons. For the computer folks out there :thumbsup: check out Digital Fortress.

Edited by rigel, 19 May 2006 - 03:34 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

I've read the book, and I must say that it is an excellent book.

Here is the way i've been explaining it to everyone that asks me about it:

The Da Vinci Code itself the novel is fictional. However, some of the stuff mentioned in it are true, however they are put together to form a fictional conspiracy.

(i.e: FACT: JFK was assassanated. FACT: Martin Luther King Jr. was assassanated.

FICTOUS CONSPIRACY: Both JFK, and MLK Jr. were assassanated by the same person.)

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

FICTOUS CONSPIRACY: Both JFK, and MLK Jr. were assassanated by the same person.)

Is it though ? Heheheh...we will never know! I personally do not have an opinion either way.

Without giving the book away...the most controversial point is fiction when it comes down to it.

#15 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

yano Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM
The Da Vinci Code itself the novel is fictional. However, some of the stuff mentioned in it are true, however they are put together to form a fictional conspiracy.

I agree with yano's opinion.

Regards,

Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users