Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 justdave1

justdave1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529857/reformat-c-drive;-windows-7-machine/ - Hamluis.

Hello, new here I've been enjoying the posts!

I am trying to reformat my hard drive and the option is not available in advanced recovery options.

The system is:  Dell, XPS 9000, 12GB memory, I7 at 2.67, 1GB graphics card accellarator, about 692GB hard drive. And some other bells and whistles. OS windows 7 ultimate. It's a  Dell. System and is slow and restarts itself and freezes all the time.

So I reinstalled Win7 (I have the disk) and it just created another partion, no option to format the drive.  So I went to dell website and looked up how to do it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/choosing-an-advanced-recovery-method

So clicked on advanced recovery options and there is no Dell Tools or Dell Factory Restore option. I've tried selecting reinstall but that doesn't let you wipe the drive and start over. I wonder why Dell would say that and then you can't find it so you call them and they "find it", reset your drive and charge you $129.  I've been there before.

Also can not install avgfree2014, after I dl it from cnet. says file not found and I've been to their website and ran the reset access program.

I just want to reformat and move on, any suggestions??  Thanks for your help!  I'm a little clueless on how all these programs work and why Dell says do this and you can't.

Good morning, afternoon or evening to all

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2014 - 06:56 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Dave

23shh55.jpg to the forum.

One way that you could format the HDD is to use the "Diskpart" utility within "CMD" prompt.

Since you have a Win 7 Install Disk, you can boot up on the disk, and at the "select language" screen, hold down the "shift" key and press the f10 key to get to the CMD prompt.

At the CMD prompt, type   diskpart

This will enter the DISKPART utility.

From there, you can format your HDD by typing the following commands:

list disk  (list all drives available)

select disk #   (where # is your HDD from the list of available drives)

format fs=ntfs label=(name) quick

That will format your HDD to an NTFS file system format using the "quick" format method.

#3 justdave1

justdave1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Scoop8

I tried this and it didn't work.   I got to the command prompt ok, after booting from the install disk

i typed list disk    the volume is 0 (zero)

i typed select disk 0 (zero)

it said disk 0 is the selected disk

i typed (with spaces)  FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL=0 (ZERO) QUICK

got an error message that said

the arguments specified for this command are not valid  

I tried several different ways of entering the command, changed the label to C, 1  nothing has worked

Any other suggestions? 

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

justdave1

I think the problem is the "label" part of the command.  Here's what should work:

format fs=ntfs label=x    (where x = the volume name that you want to assign to the HDD).

It should accept C as the label unless Diskpart is protecting the user from formatting the only HDD available.  Try "F" or "G", something like that.

I didn't include the part of the command lines necessary to create a partition before formatting.with DISKPART.  My apologies.

In order to format, you'd need to create a volume (partition) first.  Something like this should work (at the DIskpart prompt)

DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk (id)
DISKPART> online disk (if the disk is not online)

DISKPART> create partition primary
DISKPART> select part 1

DISKPART> format fs=ntfs label=(name) quick   (use "new volume" or something similar for the label)
DISKPART> assign letter=(letter, ie, c for c drive, etc)
DISKPART> list volume

You should then see the new partition on the HDD.

If you're only wanting to prepare the HDD for a new Windows install, you can use the "clean" command.  That will mark all present data on the HDD for deletion, effectively making the HDD "unallocated".

DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk (id)
DISKPART> online disk (if the disk is not online)
DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly
DISKPART> clean

As buddy215 mentioned, re-installing Windows will format the HDD during the install process.

If you're specifically wanting to format before a reinstall, you can use Partition Wizard" as John_C21 mentioned or you can download another HDD freeware utility, Gparted and burn the ISO to a CD and boot up on it to format the HDD.

I used to boot up with Gparted to prepare my HDD for cloning or imaging but now I use DISKPART since I can prep my HDD while Windows is running.

#5 justdave1

justdave1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Am sorry to report that none of this has worked and now I have a dead desktop that won't even start with the factory installation disk.

Latest effort I dl and used partition wizzard and it caused my sys to lock and the sys is now dead.

At this point I'll forget about reformating and be happy with a fresh install if only I could get my sys to boot from the install disk. I have no other optitions at this and a.

m asking for help to get this machine at least working.

I have no repair type disk only the orginal, this post is from my laptop, but I work on the desktop.

So if someone can help me sort this mess out I'd appreciate it!

#6 justdave1

justdave1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Tried again, F8 etc computer keeps saying a device is unavailable and I plugged in all the drive I had used in the last two days, guess not a device I have.  I don't know.

At this point would it be best to just get another drive and put it in and start over?  If I get a new drive I should be able to install a fresh copy of win 7 on it right?  thanks any help is appreciated.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Download puppy linux.

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso

Burn the iso to cd/dvd boot pc from cd/dvd then use G parted to delete the partition and then create a new partition.

Or use the Gparted live cd

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

http://youtu.be/B9YW_COMmas

NOTE using G Parted will delete any and all partitions and data on the HDD

Edited by NickAu1, 12 April 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Before I bothered with deleting that partition...I would run a hard drive diagnostic.  If the drive is the problem, deleting/reinstalling will not be successful.

Louis

#9 justdave1

justdave1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

Issue is Resolved! 

I booted to Gparted and I found a backup only a month old and was able to maintain most of everything, including email addresses.

This experience made  a automated backup believer out of me!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, it was great not feeling alone with this problem.

Dave

#10 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

Dave,

Glad you got it resolved.

Backups, you're right and it's something that's not utilized as often as it could be, with many home PC users.

It's always better to have perhaps too many backups vs not enough.  I'm probably a backup "overkill" type, but it's a "peace of mind" thing for me.

I backup my entire HDD every 2 weeks (cloning) and periodically Image for full-HDD redundancy.  I also run a specific-item that include those often-edited/changed items with an unattended backup utility twice-daily onto a continuously-connected portable HDD.  Those items get manually copied every couple of days to a flash drive and another portable HDD that's connected only during the file-copy action.  I use a script to copy those files since I'm lazy :lol: since it's done with one keystroke and faster so those drives are connected for about a minute or less.

It's overkill but when they're needed, it pays off with fast recovery (HDD issues, malware, user error).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users