Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 huntryan

huntryan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi, bare with me here as I try to explain this as clearly as possible. So yesterday I tried to boot my laptop only to get a black screen, no bios/post, nothing. Power lights come on, fans spin, but that's it.

I had tested it down to the point where I was pretty sure it was a GPU/Motherboard issue. It has always run pretty hot so my plan was to do a GPU reflow.

However this took a strange turn this morning. After leaving it sitting for 12 hours I tried to boot it up and surprise, it went into post. After that it went to a windows update screen, went to updating 100%, then I got a blue screen of death with the error code "worker thread returned at bad irql" then it restarted. After that straight back to black screen of death and can't get it to post again.

This has really confused me as I was sure it was a mobo/gpu issue until this and was all set to perform a reflow today. Now, not so sure what to do.

If anyone has some helpful insight into my issue I would very much appreciate it.
Ryan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Did you try safe mode?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 huntryan

huntryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Can't, it wont POST. I literally turn it on, power lights turn on, fans spin. Thats it (except the one time it blue screened).

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Intermittant hardware problem it seems. Reflow cant hurt. RAM mobo processor or wall wart. Tough one.

Frank O' The Mountain

#5 Lyon Soldado

Lyon Soldado

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well - this happens to me once and a friend told me to try to do things on my computer and see if it would resolve the issue and it did.

so you might as well try it and see if it works for you.

1) unplug the laptop.

2) remove the battery.

3) hold down the power button for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. :busy:

4) then, put the battery back in.

5) start it up again.

as I said...

This tips worked for me and hopely it will work for you as well. :hello:

Good luck my friend.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Did you try safe mode?

Because Windows 8 boots so fast you can not boot into Safe Mode as you could with previous versions of Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

huntryan,  is this Windows 8 or 8.1?

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 huntryan

huntryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well - this happens to me once and a friend told me to try to do things on my computer and see if it would resolve the issue and it did.

so you might as well try it and see if it works for you.

1) unplug the laptop.

2) remove the battery.

3) hold down the power button for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. :busy:

4) then, put the battery back in.

5) start it up again.

as I said...

This tips worked for me and hopely it will work for you as well. :hello:

Good luck my friend.

Lyon, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I've already tried this many times, no success. If only life were that simple...!

huntryan,  is this Windows 8 or 8.1?

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Oh, stupid me, thought I included that in the post. Acer 5552G-7464, Windows 8.

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Does it go to bios? Will bios hang/stop if you take the hard drive out? If your getting nothing at all without a hard drive, then it must be hardware!

Frank O' The Mountain

#10 huntryan

huntryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Nope can't get BIOS at all. Except the one time where it did post then blue screened I've been getting nothing. Tried without RAM, HDD.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

The BIOS is not a part of Windows, it is the Basic In and Out System.  This is stored on a EEPROM on the motherboard, so this has no association with the hdd in this case.  If you can enter the BIOS this would indicate that this is a software problem.  Try tapping the F2 key immediately after pressing the power button.

#12 huntryan

huntryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

The BIOS is not a part of Windows, it is the Basic In and Out System.  This is stored on a EEPROM on the motherboard, so this has no association with the hdd in this case.  If you can enter the BIOS this would indicate that this is a software problem.  Try tapping the F2 key immediately after pressing the power button.

Like I said, I can't enter the BIOS, it will not POST. Thanks for your suggestion though.

#13 1Sin

1Sin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:37 PM

Turn on and keep rapidly pressing the ESC button. You can get into it that way. Might need to update your bios.

#14 huntryan

huntryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Turn on and keep rapidly pressing the ESC button. You can get into it that way. Might need to update your bios.

Nope, nothing. Can't update bios either, I booted with a usb drive in using fn+esc - still nothing.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Like I said, I can't enter the BIOS, it will not POST. Thanks for your suggestion though.

If this was a Windows issue you would still be able to boot into the BIOS, so I would expect that you have a hardware problem.

Can't, it wont POST. I literally turn it on, power lights turn on, fans spin. Thats it (except the one time it blue screened).

When you turn on the computer are you seeing any activity on the hdd indicator light?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users