Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clobbered by popup avalanche before I could stop it

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi, after the shop recently installed Win 7 for me, I was hit by an avalanche of popups and fullscreen adverts whenever I opened Internet Explorer, but I eventually stopped them by adjusting the popup blocker to High. (the shop had set it on Low).

But then I found that some of my games and flight sims were now stuttering and are unplayable, so I assume something nasty had ridden in on that wave of popups before I could stop them, and is messing up my games, what do you think? 

Incidentally I used to close the popups either by clicking the 'Close' button in the advert, or by clicking the 'X' in their top righthand corner, but I've since been told I should have closed them by the far more secure method of the Task Manager.

My PC runs fine, it's just games that are affected. 

I've got AVG and have run several full scans but they found nothing.

What shall I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users