Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my 3.33ghz, 624mb RAM W3503 eMachine. Some tips?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CollegeGuy23

CollegeGuy23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

So hey guys. This is my first post and forum website.

I am looking to upgrade my 3.33ghz 624mb winXP (i think it may be a 64 bit, i am not home and wont be able to find out til tomorrow night.) to Win7, due to the winXP non support. I got 2 Arch Memory (DDR-400, PC3200) 1GB RAM sticks in the mail, to make my computer run faster. I was wondering what OS of Windows should I get? I love the look of Win7 and I am used to it from my gfs house and school. Should I get the 32-bit or should I get the 64-bit?

I also heard that many people had a problem booting up their desktops after upgrading the RAM in this tower model. Any tips you guys can give me so I will not run into any problems?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 April 2014 - 05:31 PM.
Moved to System building and upgrading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Have a read here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

Also, Emachines are typically installed with some of the most flakey power supplies on the market. I would definitely upgrade the PSU.

Exactly which model Emachine do you have??

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2014 - 11:53 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote box - Hamluis.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 CollegeGuy23

CollegeGuy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

first my power supply hasn't really acted out. But I am waiting for my other desktop to get a new power supply. I rather run that machine over this eMachine. My other tower has been rebuilt multiple times.
The model I have in the W3503. I forgot to retype in the thread.

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

If you have installed both sticks & you're not now experiencing any problems you're probably good to go on Win7.

As to the Emachine PSU.....Those PSUs don't just go bad gradually. Usually it's a massive catastrophic failure, often taking out other components when they go. I wouldn't trust one on any thing of value.

Download Speccy  from here: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download & it will provide you with lot's of good info about your computer.

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2014 - 11:56 AM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 CollegeGuy23

CollegeGuy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Saw101

I am waiting for my RAM sticks to cone through the mail. I have anywhere from 4-14 days.

What do you mean about the PSU?

The only reason I do not know what bit I am running is because I am out of my house.

thank you saw101 for the help.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

What they are saying is E machines usually have very poor quality power supplies, they can fail and ruin the electronics.  These are low power usage units, the PSU can be replaced with a quality item for very little money.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

You're upgrading to 64-bit?  Are you going to have 4GB of RAM installed?  64-bit's main selling point to the typical consumer is its ability to use 4GB or more of RAM.  32-bit is limited to 4GB, but almost never gets all the way to it due to memory addressing.  Typically, a 32-bit install has about 3GB to 3.5GB of RAM available for the OS to use.  Installing a 64-bit OS on less than 4GB of RAM is generally not a good idea since, with 64-bit, items in RAM take up a bit more space.  In some cases, this can result in decreased performance.

3939.png

#8 CollegeGuy23

CollegeGuy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

What they are saying is E machines usually have very poor quality power supplies, they can fail and ruin the electronics.  These are low power usage units, the PSU can be replaced with a quality item for very little money.

thank you
I may look into it.

#9 CollegeGuy23

CollegeGuy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

You're upgrading to 64-bit?  Are you going to have 4GB of RAM installed?  64-bit's main selling point to the typical consumer is its ability to use 4GB or more of RAM.  32-bit is limited to 4GB, but almost never gets all the way to it due to memory addressing.  Typically, a 32-bit install has about 3GB to 3.5GB of RAM available for the OS to use.  Installing a 64-bit OS on less than 4GB of RAM is generally not a good idea since, with 64-bit, items in RAM take up a bit more space.  In some cases, this can result in decreased performance.

thank you.
I will be putting 2gbs of memory. So most likely 32 bit.
I thought they lowered the requirements since low memory computers are going to be updating.
also I have another project I want to complete. I would like to make my primary 145 GB hard drive as an external hard drive and take a lower GB hard drive as a new HD in my computer. Is this a smart move? The main reason why I would like to do this is so that the PSU doesn't work to hard.

#10 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

also I have another project I want to complete. I would like to make my primary 145 GB hard drive as an external hard drive and take a lower GB hard drive as a new HD in my computer. Is this a smart move? The main reason why I would like to do this is so that the PSU doesn't work to hard.

The PSU should not work any harder to operate a higher GB drive than a smaller GB drive. But, I would still upgrade the Emachine PSU first. Additionally, I'd consider replacing the 145GB with something larger (Certainly not smaller) dependent upon your needs/requirements. You'll also gain better (optional) partitioning strategies if you decide to go larger.

If you change out drives, the external drive should ideally be mounted in an enclosure. More so, for the sake of convenience, if it is going to see frequent use. Many of the external enclosures have fans to help keep the drives running cooler. Selection is based on whether your drive is IDE or SATA.

#11 CollegeGuy23

CollegeGuy23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Well I rarely use any space on my 145gb. I have used less than 80gig and I have had the thing since 2009.

Thanks again saw.
I will look into that.

#12 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

The less space used on the hard drive the faster it is

The less space used on the hard drive the faster it is

0 user(s) are reading this topic