Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable One

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I don't have many options where I'm working. It was either Cable One or Hughes Net satellite internet. The limit on data for the satellite internet and the latency just doesn't work for me so I had to go with Cable One.

80% of the time it works pretty well. Sometimes is it dreadfully slow. It also stops working for 10-30 minutes at a time about once or twice a month.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to the world of cable internet. Cable companies over sell their lines and ifrastructure. When I worked in retail we sold cable internet (I will leave out the provider), they openly admited that they could not support everyone during peek hours at full offered speeds and that if everyone had 100mb/s internet speed it would cause a real problem for their lines/infrastucture. We rarely sold 100mb/s connections anyway and were actually told to try "not" to sell them.

I have never had cable myself but many of my friends, family members do. Some things I hear: peek hours can cause slow internet, when all the kids get out of school guess what they do? Turn on the xbox 360 and start gaming. I do not know what it is about xbox 360s but they gobble up internet faster than netflix on full 1080p HD. I suppose it is because they are using upload and download, where netflix is mainly download. I have a friend that lives in a populated city, he has 100mb/s cable that is on a fiber line, even this line is bogged down during peek hours around 3pm to 7pm central time. At one point he told me he was getting 512kb/s down when he pays for 100mb/s. In this case I am not certain if it is the line that is maxed or the servers driving the line. I have had better luck with DSL as far as stable internet and speed goes. Downside: most of the time they do not offer internet quite as fast as cable can offer. Upload for aDSL usually sucks. Cable is not much better though.

If I had a choice only between satelite and cable, I would chose cable hands down. If there is a half way decent DSL provider option around 12mb/s I would take that over 30mb/s cable.

Edited by zingo156, 11 April 2014 - 03:24 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

That makes a lot of sense. Can the cable companies do something so that they can handle all of the extra usage during peak hours? More lines? Jiggle the wires? Anything?

The town I'm working in is a smallish city that has become a boomtown from oil and gas drilling. The population has shot up drastically over the last few years so this probably has something to do with the service.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

The cable companies try to balance the load between users but there isn't much they can do short of running new lines and buying more, faster, or better servers.

Population booms and streaming services like netflix and youtube are killing the current infrastucture, this is why the cable companies are trying to force netflix, youtube, amazon, and other stream services to pay a fee or they throttle the services. Copper lines are the current limitation in some cases or the servers themselves. Most lines, especially in small towns are copper, they have a maximum speed before they would overheat and be destroyed. Fiber is being run and has much higher theoretical maximum speeds. They are getting better with copper lines by using better packet handling techniques, but they still have a limitation based on current through the line and heat.

Here is a half way decent article about fiber lines and why they are the future: http://bboxblog.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/8-advantages-to-choosing-fiber-over-copper-cable/

Edited by zingo156, 11 April 2014 - 03:44 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 JeffyDurden

JeffyDurden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

There was a company that came to my work office offering to install fiber internet. The setup cost was very high to even get us started. Once they get some business in this town and have some fiber lines installed, should I expect the installation fee to drop very much or will fiber installation always be very expensive?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

It is difficult to terminate or install fiber so the costs to do so are still relatively high. The cost will go down over time. The article I posted above is fairly old but decent with some fiber basics. The maximum speed reached I believe was 1.4 Tbit/s ---> source here: http://www.lightreading.com/optical/400g-terabit/euronews-bt-alcalu-claim-fiber-speed-record/d/d-id/707365

That is the good thing about cable, the infrastructure is already there and it is easy to install. So it is cheaper to get into. I wish I was close to a fiber line myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users