Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotspot Shield driver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aztony

aztony

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hi all,

hope everyone is going good. I have a question pertaining to Hotspot Shield Routing driver 6 which is running on my computer. Problem is I don't presently have Hotspot Shield installed. I downloaded it about a year ago to try it, but decided not to keep it after a few days. I uninstalled the app, but I just happened to notice this driver today. I disabled it, and right after found myself without an internet connection, or access to my network, until I re-enabled it. Why would this driver belonging to a program that was removed almost a year ago still control my network/internet access?  

I don't know if this 2nd part is related, or not, but while messing around with this I discovered that Privatefirewall's pfsvc.exe has stopped, and will not start/load. Even after a number of reboots and uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall. I've sent Greg over at Privacyware an email to get his thoughts as well. I just have a nagging feeling the two are connected somehow, as they are both displayed under 'non plug and play drivers' when I click 'show hidden devices' in network adapters/device manager.

Thanks for any help.

Tony  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

First thing to do is make a system restore point and then go in there, look at the properties find the location of the driver (culprit) and blow it away. Be sure to have a copy of your nic card drivers & then uninstall the network driver too. Then just run the scan for hardware again. I hate it when develpers uninstallers don't remove everthing. Then you go in there and find something hooked to your hardware that's not digitally signed or fields just say publisher: UNKNOWN. So annoying! It only takes a minute to give a descritpion lol. One thing about Microsoft is they do sign/hash and describe for their modules and exe's.

Edited by technonymous, 11 April 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#3 aztony

aztony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for your reply, technonymous. I waiting on the outcome of dana_p's suggestion before taking the plunge, so to speak.

lol. One thing about Microsoft is they do sign/hash and describe for their modules and exe's.

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2014 - 02:09 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote box - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users