Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my motherboard fried....?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tsgiannis

tsgiannis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hello to everybody

There has being some time since my motherboard started acting a bit strange....occasional BSOD and restarts (like 1 per week)

Just to clarify ,for many years i was working 24/7 with 8 gigs of RAM 2x2 Corsair + 2x2 Crucial (ASUS P5Q-E) and when the hiccups started i saw with 1 kit (2x2) i was rock solid so i was working with the Corsair kit.

I decided to to upgrade but given the fact is was low on money i started selling out what ever i could.

Last night i wanted to test the Crucial kit (when i go to sell something regardless of warranty i always check it to be sure) and so i opened the case and inserted the Dimms (foolishly i didn't pulled out the case so i will insert them comfortably but instead i wend the lazy way with me on my knees....stupid) and started the machine....

Machine started with all the bells and whistles but no POST.

I rechecked the dimms and saw that one of them didn't seated properly and was like one half in the slot and the other just slightly off (like 5-10 degrees misalignment) .... and i slight smell of burned plastic came to my attention....i thought is not possible

So i reseated the Dimm and the machine came to life...but Memtest+ show only 2 gigs....

I rechecked and reseated the Dimms but the same effect.I tried the "working" kit of Corsair and the same result...Memtest was seeing just the half.

I swapped Dimms...now just beeps and no post.

I pulled the case from under my desk and put it on top.

I carefully reseated  each  Dimm of the kits  one at a time to the first two slots but no success.....

Thankfully i have a 2nd HTPC machine (Asus P5E) and quickly checked the kits...then i checked thoroughly the Corsair kit and it came just fine (7 MemTest+ passes )....few...

So this misalignment could have fried my motherboard....i know it was on its to oblivion but it wouldn't hurt to keep at as last resort solution...

Hopefully in the afternoon i will give it one more try to see if something is wrong... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

I rechecked and reseated the Dimms but the same effect.I tried the "working" kit of Corsair and the same result...Memtest was seeing just the half.

Try 1 stick at a time You may find 1 is faulty.

#3 tsgiannis

tsgiannis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

Last night i tried it but with no success....

Funny thing i know that if RAM is put backwards will do some serious damage but correct way and misaligned would never crossed my mind.....

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Will it boot with the old ram?

#5 tsgiannis

tsgiannis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

No booting is possible....i have read somewhere else that if don't carefully secure the RAM Dimm is possible to damage both the RAM & Mobo....so many years experience and one lousy moment and my system is busted....just because i was too lazy to take the system out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users