Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 boots twice.... need help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Centurion5

Centurion5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi all,

Maybe one of you guys can help me out here are my specs: (its a new build btw)

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MB (latest bios)
AMD FX-9590 CPU
Corsair TX850 PSU
XFX R7 250 Core Edition Passive GPU
Kingston KHX 1600C9D3K4/8GX 1.65V (4 x 2 GB) RAM
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
Intel 40GB SSD

Cpu, vrm and nb are all costum watercooled with a XSPC RX480 rad. Temps Idle cpu = 25c to 28c at full load p95 its 52c my vrm idles at around 24c to 28c at p95 its 53c nb stays pretty much at 33c to 35c. So cooling should be good enough.

System = default setting no OC.

Whenever I turn on my pc cold boot) it boots fine NO error led warnings nor error sound warnings I enter w7 desktop and 2 to 3 sec later it reboots after that I can use my pc without issues. Now im also using dual boot on a seperate ssd with Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS the same happens when im at the desktop as with w7...it reboots. So looking at windows event viewer is kind of mute now since it happens with ubuntu as well (and I erased the w7 ssd)

I have no clue what is going on...this is what I have done so far:

Removed the w7 ssd and just use my ubuntu ssd no change...
Reinstalled W7 and nothing changed...
Reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and nothing changed...
Used Memtest for 7 hours and nothing changed...(no errors).
I did a CMOS reset no change...
Updated my BIOS to the latest succesfully but no change...
I chose to use D.O.C.P. in order to let my ram run at its native speed (9-9-9-27) no change...
Ive removed 2 out of 4 ram modules to see if the problem insists which it does...

Should I manually set the ram timings if yes how please know im using 4 x 2gb modules, im not realy into OC'ing the cpu, only want to change the ram timings to its correct spec if needed otherwise its default setting at 1333mhz.

Some say its normal that asus motherboards boot twice BUT is it normal to reboot while you already are at the w7 or ubuntu desktop for approx 2 or 3 sec? Thing is after the second boot I can do whatever thing I want to no problems as of yet...because this could be a sign for further more pertinent problems...

Some say to up the vcore a bit slightly increase the voltage but my cpu is already factory OC thats why I bought it so I wouldnt have to fiddle with the bios settings....

Hopefully some one can help me, it seriously drives me nuts.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

If you are not getting errors or crashes using memtest86 and prime 95, most likely the cpu and the ram is ok. You could try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time. Move that stick to each slot to retest. I have never seen a computer boot to the desktop and then restart and then boot again and run perfectly fine in both linux and windows but at least that points us to hardware related issues. Do you happen to have a different video card laying around you could test with? Different PSU? I have a feeling this is going to be one of those situations where you need to replace 1 part at a time to rule them out.

A few things to try, unplug all usb devices and let it boot (also disconnect front case usb headers from the board). Does it restart still? Your case may have a faulty power button or restart switch, try disconnecting the reset and power switch. Turn the computer on by shorting the 2 power switch pins on the mainboard (don't worry this will not harm the mainboard, the power button does exactly this, it shorts those 2 pins).

Did you put the case standouts in? Case standouts raise the board away from the case by about 1/4 inch. They prevent the main board from shorting to the case. I know it is a silly question but I have seen it happen a few times.

Edited by zingo156, 11 April 2014 - 07:42 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Centurion5

Centurion5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Thank you for your reply,

Here is what i did i called my friend to tell him of the problem he basically (after the call i visited this thread and others i posted) tells the same things as you did. So ive tried all the above options in my first post. I followed the advise of both of you, i had a seperate graphics card that i know works 100% i put it in my rig and started it up.....damn it rebooted agin im starting to get pissed since i wasted so much time in this rig and watercooling is a PITA when you have to cool the vrm and NB because the fx-9590 is power hungry and impacts the vrm hence i wanted to wc the vrm. Anyway all that was left is the psu and fortunatley i have a spare psu a corsair HX650 i was worried if that would be ok with a 220watt cpu but i guessed im not stressing it just booting....

I detached all the old psu cables from my MB double checked triple checked everything i did not removed the old psu to much hassle i grabbed my spare psu (which worked flawlessly) hooked it up did yet another check if all is connected properly and fingers crossed....and i booted up....to ubuntu desktop waiting waiting waiting for that nasty reboot i kept waiting......nothing no reboot!! maybe i was lucky so i turned it of. 30 sec later i turned it on same thing no double boot. I finally turned it of and turned of the psu and detached the psu cable from the wall. I hooked everything up again turned the pc on....and again NO DOUBLE BOOT!! So i had a faulty psu (corsair TX850) I really hope this is the case that i have a faulty psu all that is left is buy my self a new 850watt psu.

Thanks for your input and help much appreciated!

A good day to you sir.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Glad to hear... I had another thread here that went about 5 pages deep. It was the same TX850 psu that ended up being the problem. It takes forever to diagnose a bad psu if you do not have another psu to test with or a proper rig to test the psu under load with multimeter.

I have a corsair 750 myself and have not had any problems in the last 4 years with it. I think this is the 3rd case of TX850 problems I have seen in the past 5 months. They must have some issue with that PSU.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Centurion5

Centurion5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

The Corsair TX850 is version 1 not 2, perhaps the psu was faulty OR not compatible with my MB and CPU it was strange that it did allowed to stress test with prime95 perhaps that was the result in errors for all upcomming boots..is that even possible with a faulty psu to use prime95? Ive done it 2 times. So i guessed i had a stable system which turned out to be incorrect..

Have you heard any problems with the Corsair RM850 watt psu? I mean low faulty psu percentage?

Thanks.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

I haven't looked into the RM850, newegg/amazon/tigerdirect might be a good place to check that by reading the reviews.

It is possible to be able to run prime 95 with a faulty psu. The other thread if I remember correctly, the person was able to run prime 95 and furmark to test both cpu and gpu but not at the same time, when he tested both at the same time it crashed. In that case, I believe the psu only acted up when it was under near full load, both the video card and the cpu, etc... then it would crash.

PSU issues are sometimes hard to determine by diagnostic methods. The fastest way to rule it out is to put in a known working psu and then test the whole rig again. I did setup a psu test rig which had 10 X 30 watt fans, a video card that used around 200 watts and a pentium 4 that used 100 watts or so. In total it would use about 600 watts. I could test the voltage on all the pins with a multimeter and most of the time catch a problem. On the other hand, those cheap psu testers rarely work for me. I have had many that pass the psu tester but then fail under load test. I only trust load based psu tests as a result.

#7 Centurion5

Centurion5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Ive purchased the Corsair AX760 psu since im not using a high end graphics card i think this psu should be more then enough for my rig. The Corsair HX650 had no issues with booting up unlike the Corsair TX850 since the HX650 was a bit low on the wattage with the fx-9590 i opted for the AX760 which is platinum thats a def plus in my book. So far no reboot issues. I still need to stress test my system with the new psu but this will have to wait for another time wasted to much time and energy in to this rig the custom watercooling for the vrm and nb as well as the cpu was a time consuming effort as well as the reboot issue and trying to solve it.

Anyway thanks for your help and information much appreciated.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

I came across a client with the same board and 750Watt it just kept rebooting rebooting then it would go away for a week then back to rebooting episodes. No BSOD just a reboot. Yanked it out replaced it with another Corsair 750 Watt problem solved. Apparently corsair got a bad batch of PSU that passed the bench tests. Box it up and send it for a replacement.

Edited by technonymous, 16 April 2014 - 11:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users