Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Build Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

Hello I'm looking into building a server that will be able to update and install OS images to various clients on the network both Windows and Linux. I am thinking a diskless setup would be what I need but haven't been able to confirm a server that will support both types of clients.

What  I need to find out is what hardware will be needed for the build for supporting 3-4 clients on the network

Will I be able to have the same access for this to work over wifi as well as ethernet if using a VPN to remote into the network for updates?

Can I have the system have remote access to connect to the clients for system specific tweaks?

Can the system be built and ran in a Linux OS and support others such as Windows?

How many images will I be allowed? Can I have a different image specified to a particular client host?

Can this all be combined into a Linux Server setup which is running a file server/media server, mail server, asterisk server, and LAMPP stack?

Can this be done on a budget?

How effective will this be for a home network and using images remotely for quick fixes on the go?

I appreciate any assistance greatly and hope to see support on this. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

You can support up to 10 machines without a server (in a Microsoft world any way).  Depending on what OS you are planning on running, if you're not running Windows you can get by with less hardware.

How much access you will have will depend on how you configure everything.

Remote access might be interesting.  My remote access experience is only with Windows tools.  I'm sure that there is a cross platform remote access tool that will work for you.

Yes, the server can be *nix and support Windows machine.  Some configuration may be necessary.  My *nix experience is very limited as it isn't something I have pursued.

I'm sure it can all be done on one server, but you're probably going to want better hardware if you it to do everything.

With sufficient funding we can fix any problem.  Budget is just another way to say all we want to spend is X.   It can be done on a budget, but depends on the amount you are able to spend.

Properly configured it will be fine for a home network.  Using images remotely, probably not so much, need more information on what your plan is.  If remotely means on the same LAN/WAN okay.  If remotely means access from the Internet, not so good as consumer uploads aren't sufficient for remote imaging.

#3 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hello I'm looking into building a server that will be able to update and install OS images to various clients on the network both Windows and Linux. I am thinking a diskless setup would be what I need but haven't been able to confirm a server that will support both types of clients.

What  I need to find out is what hardware will be needed for the build for supporting 3-4 clients on the network

Will I be able to have the same access for this to work over wifi as well as ethernet if using a VPN to remote into the network for updates?

Can I have the system have remote access to connect to the clients for system specific tweaks?

Can the system be built and ran in a Linux OS and support others such as Windows?

How many images will I be allowed? Can I have a different image specified to a particular client host?

Can this all be combined into a Linux Server setup which is running a file server/media server, mail server, asterisk server, and LAMPP stack?

Can this be done on a budget?

How effective will this be for a home network and using images remotely for quick fixes on the go?

I appreciate any assistance greatly and hope to see support on this. Thanks

I think this could work; an AMD FX 6300 or 8320 cpu running Esxi 5 off a USB 3.0 thumb drive with 8(maybe16?) gb of  ram (gskill is a good brand) if you need a disk get an SSD(sata6 or pcie) with high throughput(I/O) 120gb should suffice, also high 4k32 speed would be nice, Mainboard could have  an Asus 990x or 970x chipset , combine this with a cheap video card and a decent but quality 350 watt PSU in whatever case you choose, oh I forgot to add your lan card/s (intel pro gigabit) and your wireless card too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users