Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Usage Maxxes Out a LOT After Fresh Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deandome

deandome

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

It's not one process that hogs the cpu; sometimes n360 will show 95%...sometimes (usually), it's the browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE...doesn't matter, and usually Task Manager will show multiple copies of the task, each with, say, 35%).  A few minutes ago, it was the Chrome updater!  Videos can barely load, much less play smoothly.  

Now for my deetz; Dell Latitude D610, I maxxed out my memory capacity (2g, I think), running XP that was freshly installed from original disc & all updates/service packs & patches  installed smoothly before the expiration the other day.  I even got a new, upgraded CPU was put in a few hours ago, and the problem is still there.  I loaded Norton n360 and have NO games or fluff programs of any kind installed; at this point it's set up to use the web only.  I haven't had a chance to catch a virus, and I didn't install ANYTHING  from a backup or anything...it's all truly 'fresh'.  On thing to know is that the battery isn't 'recognized' by the computer, so it won't charge, I have to use it on AC all the time.  And for some reason, this prevents you from updating the BIOS...it says you must install a battery to do that.

See, I had this before after a system redoing everything about 4 months ago, so, thinking I might have had a bad install back then, I thought it wise to try again before the XP expiration...but clearly that isn't/wasn't the problem.  After searching a bit on this, I saw  where someone suggested to someone else that it might be because the drive was a) not formatted and/or B) partitions were not made.  THIS is where I think my problem lies, as I've never understood how to do that properly.  

Do I need a partition if I do my backups on an external drive?  How do I reformat the drive...do I need a special disc?    If I have to start over, I'll still be able to get the service packs, updates & patches I got the other day...right?  I assume the support-stoppage refers to future updates, not to getting all the old ones...right?

Thanks for any help you can afford me.

Edited by deandome, 11 April 2014 - 12:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

1) All previous XP updates are still, and will continue to be available.

2) More than one partition is not necessary.

3) All the tools needed to delete, create and format partitions are included on the Windows XP installation CD.

4) 'Catching a Virus' only takes a few seconds. Make sure you have an AntiVirus installed and keep it updated.

#3 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thanks!  But if I didn't do anything other than re-install...did I even create ONE partition?   I was thinking if I wasn't going to create a section for backups, letting the drive be one, big 'thing' would be better than splitting into two parts.

n360 was the first thing I loaded after I connected to my router.  Didn't even go to Google, I loaded n360 thru my Comcast homepage (it's free w/my internet service).  

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Yes, you must have at least one partition ... but that one partition can be the whole drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

A Dell system typically has a recovery mechanism built-in which restores the system to factory defauts.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6344488_restore-dell-d610-factory-settings.html

If reinstalling is what you want to do...the mechanism for doing so exists as part of Dell's service to you.

Louis

#6 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Are there any suggestions as to what else might be the problem...what I might want to check out?  Any diagnostics I should try?30?

Again...processor is fine, no virus, no bloatware, no games.  All I do/want to do on this computer is surf the web, but once I open Chrome (or any other browser), the CPU starts maxxing out @ 100% usage.  I can't play a low-res youtube video...I can't have 2 tabs open....it's just dogging.

Help!

#7 Phil in USA

Phil in USA

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I read that MS security update has caused the problem before and some people advise to turn it off to see if this fixes it.

Go HEELS!

Phil

#8 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

How do you turn off a security update???

I read that MS security update has caused the problem before and some people advise to turn it off to see if this fixes it.

Go HEELS!

Phil

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

How do you turn off a security update???

Go HEELS!

Phil

I believe that the poster meant to say turn off automatic updates, this will cause the 99 to 100% CPU usage. Task manager will show one of the svchost.exe processes as spiking at 99% during Auto Updates.

This was an issue once before, around 2007/2008, I believe. In the last year, it resurfaced, as I reinstalled XP Home & MCE for others, the issue existed every time. The only answer that I could find was to turn off auto updating & manually updated everything. Some sites would state to install this or that update to no avail, though the updates themselves were legit.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users