Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer keeps crashing. Blue screen of death.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crsoccerplayer6

crsoccerplayer6

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

So about 2-3 times a day during random computer usage (internet, ms word, etc.) my computer will suddenly begin pixelating and a second later show a blue screen filled with words. The blue screen is up for about 1 second then the computer blacks out and restarts.

It takes about 10mins for it to get back to normal (regular desktop screen) then it will either:

A: Let me use it like normal until it crashes again later on.
B: Immediately crash again anywhere from 2-5 times repetitively.

This has been happening for a couple of months but has gotten progressively worse in the amount of times it crashes. It’s a bit annoying to wake up and have all my homework, browsers or projects closed out every morning.

I have researched the problem but nothing seems to be helping, I’ve tried a few virus/malware removers but it either comes up clean or just erases something that doesn’t seem to be the one I’m looking for.

Any type of help or suggestions is highly appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crsoccerplayer6

crsoccerplayer6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Sorry I forgot to add my computer specs:

OS Name:                    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business
System Manufacturer:     Dell Inc.
System Model:            Vostro 410
System Type:                    X86-based PC
Processor:                    Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

This page shows how to disable automatic restart on system crash in vista: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/arestartvista.htm

Once you do this, next time you blue screen it will stay on the blue screen and you can write down what it says to post here.

Sounds a bit like the crashes might be caused by a failing or overheating video card. Try taking the side off your case and see if the video card heatsink is caked in dust.

#4 crsoccerplayer6

crsoccerplayer6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

Well I took your advice and disabled the automatic restart and that helped to get a picture.

Also, I added two more pictures of a message that microsoft gives when the pc reboots to the desktop. Not sure if its helpful at all but its there.

Also, im a bit of a newbie when it comes to hardware, do you have a good link to instructions for what I should do to clean the inside?

Im assuming turn it off, peel off the cover (with my hands?), and take a dust off spray can to it?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Attached Files

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Don't worry about the video card or dust for now (when you said your screen was 'pixelating' I thought it could lead in that direction)

However, this blue screen error could suggest you are infected with a rootkit. I will let the pros here help you with that.

Edited by bludshot, 11 April 2014 - 10:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users