Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Old Computer Monitors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

I know this may sound like a silly question, and I'm sure the answer is "no", but just to make sure I'm asking anyway:

If I have an old desktop computer monitor that I am thinking of giving away, there's no saved information or data saved on to the monitor, right?  Like there's no saved screenshots or anyway of them seeing what was on my monitor when it was connected to my PC, correct?

I'm sure the answer is "no", but there's just so many data security issues these days that I just never know what all people can get access to.

Thanks for answering!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

No problem just dispose of it properly.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

The only way I can think of a monitor being able to retain any data is if it was one of the rare ones that had an integrated card reader, and an SD card had been left in it! (Or I guess a USB hub with a flash drive sticking out...)

So agreed, you can safely pass on a monitor without any concern it could be retaining data.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

OK, great to know!  I just needed a little reassurance.  I'm taking it down to the electronics recycling center right now.

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users