Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux confussion

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

HI,I have been debating about going to LINUX/UBUNTU systems for and with the last M/S patch Tuesday,i thought i would look at more,so i went and downloaded the UBUNTU program to a DVD all went well until i tried run DVD heres what happened.

I tried to run the DVD with the WIN 7 media player would not come on the screen,but it showed up on the menu of WIN 7 player it appears that WIN 7 did not know how to play so i just gave up on it until i could figure out why so i went on other things on my PC.

So now we come to WEDNESDAY,I start up my PC and i am at the end of the last patches from M/S,it restarts my PC and much to my surprise up pops the

DVD that i had made the day before to run UBUNTU and i have never run this program so what do i do next,to make a long story short could it be that WIN 7 could not run the DVD because of it being the wrong program,thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

you need to download the the ubuntu iso. then burn it to a dvd. then put the dvd in. restart your computer and selected usually f12 when it starts up and select the boot from cd/dvd/cd-rom drive. if you put the dvd in a try to open with the win7 media player it wont work. you have to have your computer boot up the dvd. if you burn correctly to dvd just doing the last step should fix your problem.

Edited by rburkartjo, 10 April 2014 - 05:17 PM.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

HI,rburkartjo,So that was why the DVD started playing is because my PC  had restarted after M/S updates,so if i understand you right i will have change boot order every time i want to run

the DVD,Also when i ran the download program i did not get chance to put the .iso on my desktop or does this even make a difference now.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

the iso needs to be burned to a dvd with whatever burner program you have. after that you can delete the iso as long as it is burned. and yes you have to change it but usually if you select f12 when you are booting up you get the the option to boot from cd/dvd/cd-rom drive. good luck

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

HI, While i was rooting around in youtube there was a program called WUBI that looks like a way to log off UBUNTU,because i got back to what i thought was like a home page i could not find any way to log off with,this is first attempt at using UBUNTU i remember this system when it first came out and not knowing hardly anything about PC'S i just took the easy way out and went with M/S WINDOWS now it is just another learning curve and at 73yrs old i am down to my last 2 brain cells.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

If you decide to use Wubi, be careful. First, if you're on a HDD, make sure to defragment it, then create a system image (backup) of it. If you don't defrag first, that Wubi installer will create a mess of the drive.

That was in fact, my 1st experience with Ubuntu, back in early 2009, It's not as good nor safe as a regular install. Especially if you use any of the cleaning tools that Ubuntu & other LInux OS's offers. My suggestion would be to follow rburkartjo's advice on burning a DVD & boot from it as instructed & use the option "Try Ubuntu". This is running from the DVD, which will load it into memory & you're running in Live mode.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

If you decide to use Wubi

In my opinion stay away from wubi.

Download the .ISO to desktop or where ever,

Use something like IMGburn to burn the ISO to DVD.

Install Linux to USB( Drive preffered, Stick is ok) and run it that way till you decide to install it to HDD or go with windows.

If you need any more help please feel free to ask.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 April 2014 - 01:13 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

HI,I was thinking about downloading UBUNTU to my HDD,but when i started to do it was going to give me the option as to what HDD i wanted to use well i have 2 HDD'S in my PC and it only picked up 1 HDD,but did not pick up the new SSDH HYBRID HDD so i thought the only way to get it installed on new HDD was unplug it and what it said was i would be able to choose

which OS i wanted to use at boot up does this sound like a reasonable way to do it and if is then i could hook second HDD back up,but for right now i think as people here have said just run the trial period until i can get a better handle on it,thanks.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

SSDH HYBRID HDD

I have no idea how they work.

but for right now i think as people here have said just run the trial period until i can get a better handle on it,thanks

you do not have to install it just run it as a live disc. burn the iso to cd/dvd and boot from that.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

HI,On the HYBRID HDD,what i have is a SEAGATE SSDH HYBRID W/1TB HDD that i believe they use start up PC as it only takes a few seconds to get home page up and running then it

appears to go sleep if PC is not used for awhile and when want to use PC i just left click mouse and a few seconds later home page comes up

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

I have no idea how they work.

It's really not a new concept, since SSD's have been plunging, has became less popular in recent months.

What some HDD OEM's do as a speed booster, is install 8GB Flash to the HHD, making it a hybrid. Seagate was the 1st one that I seen with this. In more recent months, WD has introduced a SSD+HDD in one, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD. Problem is, even if one installs the OS onto the SSD portion, the performance isn't as good as that of a pure SSD. Windows 7 will report it as 5.9 on the WEI (this is example only). If Windows will see it as slower, so will Linux.

Here's a hybrid drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

Here's a SSD+HDD. Overpriced for what it offers. One can buy a separate SSD & HDD for less, including if necessary, an optical bay to SSD/HDD adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236642

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 11 April 2014 - 11:20 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

If you decide to use Wubi

In my opinion stay away from wubi.

Download the .ISO to desktop or where ever,

Use something like IMGburn to burn the ISO to DVD.

Install Linux to USB( Drive preffered, Stick is ok) and run it that way till you decide to install it to HDD or go with windows.

If you need any more help please feel free to ask.

Good advise! Wubi was sort of a hot thing in 2009/2010, but has cooled down in recent years. Linux Mint offered a similar option, Mint4Win.

These options, if one values their Windows install, stay away. Wubi & Mint4Win are only meant as a way to try out the OS on hardware w/out having to setup a dual boot, A virtual machine is safer by far to try out the OS, or the options as NickAu1 stated.

Cat

#13 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

HI,Thank's for all of your input,but is there any type of procedure that i can use to find out what will make using LINUX easier as this was the problem quite a few years ago when originaly

looked at LINUX there is so much going on with how and what to pick to use.

One of the things was when i was looking at WUBI that when it came to booting up is having a choice of which OS to use first one little minor detail i have not quite got a clear understanding of is what is DUAL BOOT is that what came up that i was seeing on my screen as a black screen showing a high lighted bar that you could scroll to a different OS and does both OS have to be on the HDD.

As you can probably see that working with PC'S is like walking in your yard in your bare feet and knowing where to step.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

My two cents....wait until the end of next week to get the next long term supported Ubuntu....Ubuntu 14.04LTS

Supported until April of 2019....5 years

If you have a hdd that you don't mind reformatting and installing Ubuntu on exclusively, that is the best and simplest

way to go for someone who is a first time user...for a few reasons.

I now have on my most used computer Windows 7 and an old unsupported Ubuntu that I am going to miss. But I will

keep it along with Windows 7 and install a different hdd and install the new Ubuntu exclusively on it. I boot into Win 7

once a month or so just to update the OS and programs.

I'm 70 and enjoy being able to use my age for all kinds of forgetfulness, etc. One of the plusses...oops I just forgot

your birthday....:)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

wait until the end of next week to get the next long term supported Ubuntu..

I will not be updating from 12 to 14 anytime soon let them work the bugs out for the next few months first.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users