Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scientific Notation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 biferi

biferi

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

I need some help with Scientific Notation.

If you see a number 2,000,000 you can show it as 2x10 to the power of 6

If you see a number 6,400,000 you can show it as 4.40x10 to the power of 6

And yes I know we are moving the Point all the way to the Left and placing it after the First number.

But if we see the number 22,000,000 we show it as 22x10 to the power of 6

If we are moving the Point all the way to the Left and putting it right after the first number should we not show it as 2.2x10 to the power of 6?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

High school teachers told me this would be relevant in later life.

This is the first time in over 30 years I have seen or heard the term "scientific notation";

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,054 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

If you see a number 6,400,000 you can show it as 4.40x10 to the power of 6

Well, it would be 6.4x10actually, no need for the extra zero and I'm guessing 4.4 was a mistake.

But if we see the number 22,000,000 we show it as 22x10 to the power of 6

If we are moving the Point all the way to the Left and putting it right after the first number should we not show it as 2.2x10 to the power of 6?

No, if it's shown like that then it is not proper scientific notation. Think of it as 2.2 x 10000000 which is the same as 2.2x107.

The first number; 2.2, is called the coefficient. It must be greater than or equal to 1 and less than 10.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 11 April 2014 - 06:27 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

High school teachers told me this would be relevant in later life.

This is the first time in over 30 years I have seen or heard the term "scientific notation";

+1

And how am I going to put this to use in real life. :hysterical:

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Toffee tells it like it is. 

Just to confuse the matter a bit, there is also 'Engineering notation'.  For Engineering notation, you want the coefficient between 1 and 1000, and the exponent a multiple of 3.  Those multiples of 3 correspond to the prefixes - pico, nano, micro, milli - kilo, mega, giga etc.

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users