Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MTP DLL files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yami_Wheeler

Yami_Wheeler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, I ended up deleting some .dll files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers that seem to be essential for the running of MTP devices. I can't remember the name of the files, but they have a file name beginning with W and there were a total of 2 that I deleted.

Does anybody know how I can get them back? Or can anyone provide clean versions of these files?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I think one of them was this: http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/wpdmtp/410923/ but I don't know the name of the other. It was right underneath this one, though.

Edited by Yami_Wheeler, 10 April 2014 - 03:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Yami_Wheeler

Yami_Wheeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Anyone? :(

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

First off - Welcome to BC !

Doing a Windows restore will probably fix this problem for you, so long as this error took place reasonably recently and you have a restore point that dates from before this happened.

If you have never done it before, here's how.

Click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery - Open System restore'. Click 'Next' on the box that opens and you will be given a list of recent restore points. If none of these pre-date your problem, at the bottom left, there is a button 'Show more restore points'. Select an appropriate restore point then click 'Next'. You will then get a couple of warning screens saying this process cannot be reversed, just click 'Yes', 'Next', 'Accept' as relevant and the process will start. Once it starts it normally takes a few minutes and when it has finished it will ask you to re-boot if it doesn't do so automatically. Re-boot and you should be OK.

It is possible that this will not fix your problem, in which case try an earlier restore point. Let us know how you get on.

Chris Cosgrove

PS - Let this be a lesson - leave the Windows folder strictly alone in future !        CC

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 April 2014 - 06:01 PM.
Add PS

#4 Yami_Wheeler

Yami_Wheeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have System Restore active. :/

All I really need is a clean version of the "Wpdmtpdr.dll" file from C:\Windows\System32\drivers on a Windows 7 computer.

Can anyone offer that?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

OK, a quick google tells me that these are not Windows files but files used in connection with a Samsung mobile phone so probably installed as part of the interface between your phone and the computer. Unhappily for you, since I don't own a smart phone, my ignorance on the subject is legend. I don't even know if the phone comes with a CD of drivers or not.

I would suggest that your best course of action would be, first, to download the drivers from Samsung if you don't have a disc, then, second to uninstall the Samsung software and re-install it. You may find these links of help :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/mtp-usb-device-drivers-were-not-installed/00b4f831-6381-4eae-98ef-f2c00bcdb35b

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/242140-44-device-refuses-installed-please

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users